Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, great site, so much knowledge on here! :d

Recentley bought a 2003 Laguna 1.8 Dynamique with 87,600 on the clock and have read various threads regarding the issues with the Dephaser Pulley (sounding like a diesel, irratic idle etc..) so i am certain its the same issue on mine. I am wondering if it will cause any major damage if i continue to drive the car without getting it fixed? and if so for how long? its due a service in 6000 miles (will be getting it serviced in Oct at latest as thats when MOT is due), so prefer to hold off till then as understand the timing belt has to done as well but dont want to reck the engine by holding off. Anyone have a rough idea of cost?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Has the car had a new cam belt at all yet? as the service interval is 5 years or 70,000 which ever comes 1st. So your car shoud be on it's 2nd cam belt by now. If it hasn't been changed you are definatley running on borrowed time.

I have read of some one doing 30,000 miles with a noisy dephaser pulley which caused no long term engine problems. I have dismantled 2 dephaser pulleys which where really noisy and there was no nasty debris in either of them and neither engine would have appeared to have suffered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I have to say at this point im not 100% sure (only had it 2 weeks), will give the seller a call today to find out if he knows whether it has been done. If not Il get it booked in. Seems fair enough regarding the pulley, i can deal with the slight extra noise (only really can hear it if the window is down).

Does anyone know what I should be looking to pay to have the cam belt changed? Im sure the dealers will charge through the nose but having never had a cam belt replaced before i have no idea what I should realisticaly look at!:eek:

R

·
0 Posts
The dephaser can only be bought from Renault and will cost around £150 a timing belt kit in the regions of around £100 and it will take around 4 hours to change the dephaser pulley and timing belt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Im completely non-mechanically minded :crazy: so going to ring round for some quotes. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi again!

another query. Cam belt all done, but not had pulley done yet. The mechanic did tell me it was noisy and said when he took it apart it came apart in 2. Is this normal? He did say that it should be fine till i can afford to have it done, just want to check.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The pulley should not come apart. If it is that bad failure is imminent.

If the mechanic says it's OK I suggest you get another mechanic before you need to get another engine.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 1.6VVT Clio III and a main Renault dealer confirmed the dephaser pulley needed replacing. Thanks to this forum I thought I'd chance my arm and ask Renault themselves for a 'contribution' towards the replacement as it seems it's not something that supposed to fail during the life of the car. Despite being out of warranty and having not being historically serviced by a main dealer, they still paid 75% of the cost of the dephaser pulley itself. I had it replaced at the same time as the 70k cam belt.
Sincere thanks to this forum - although the total bill (incl major service) was still a wallet-wilting £790, it would have been over £100 more if I hadn't asked Renault to pay something towards it. Cheers!
P.S. Apparently it's unlikely the dephaser will fail, but you might not want to be the first person to find out...

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The answer is no as they are only fitted to petrol engines
Indeed, and one would hope that the 1.5 dCi indeed sounds like a diesel at idle, else it's not running and we have another broken Renault to deal with :d

·
Registered
1 Posts
Renault dealer has had our Laguna 2 in for problems with the engine stopping when you pull up. They couldn't find a fault using the diagnostic equipment. (The computer says NO!)
They took sme time to go over the car and have reported that the cam dephaser is rattling. Cost to put right about £600. The local garage is collecting it on Monday morning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my local (non-Renault) garage quoted £210 parts and labour inc VAT. Its a shame the part is so expensive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts