Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 2003 Laguna II.
I only used 1 keycard, but recently the buttons have been playing up on it, and its not been locking etc...
Its just the plastic thats bubbled on the fob.

I dug out the 'spare' key, only to find the battery dead.
I went to buy a new battery, and hoped all would be ok.... suprise suprise... not that easy.
The light flashes on the keycard, but nothing happens.
I put it in the ignition, and the car won't start.

Is there any way of getting the code from the 'older but more knackered' keycard, on to the 'new hardly used, but had a flat battery' keycard?

It seems a bit naff that it should lose its code when the battery goes flat.

Surely this is not a visit to the dealer, for them to charge a fortune for easy work. There must be a way I can recode the second key??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Chumpy - keycards are not reprogrammable - each one is unique and the car is programmed to suit the card. Is this the first time you have used the spare card or did it work before - does the spare card let you start the car - if not it is not being recognised by the car as it's chip is not reliant on the condition of the battery - have you put the battery in the right way round. Check out the link below and email him and see if he can assist.:)

Renault Laguna Key Card Repair Keycard

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know how you feel. I have two cards one of which doesn't work. I had it repaired so the card's ok but it does not work the locks and it isn't recognised by the car.

Hopefully someone knows the answer? The key repair link is great as he repaired mine.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
We inherited a key with the exact same symptoms which was the original key for the car but the battery had been dead quite some time, probably a year at least - Renault charged £45 to sort it out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A salesman told me that if you do not use one of your fobs for 18months the system throws it out so that it will no longer start the car or unlock the doors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts