Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've been battling with a problem of the wifes 2003 1.9dCi Scenic for a few months now and following some of the tips on this site I think I am getting close to finding the cause and hopefully a solution!

Anyway, the car has been really down on power in the low rev range and initially I checked and cleaned the well known EGR valve (even borrowed a mates valve), this made no difference. I did an oil/filter change, then air filter, fuel filter change, still no improvement. :confused:

The funny thing is once the revs get to about 2500 and the engine gets boost it picks up and seems pretty good, below that and a slug has more pulling power. Fuel economy is OK, around 40mpg+ around Cornwall, no black smoke from exhaust or oil consumption.

Anyway moving on, recently I saw a post saying unplug the MAF sensor and the ECU goes into a default mode, OK I thought worth a try, running out of ideas now. Unplugged the connector and low behold it goes like I remember it, much better almost scary compared to recently.

So what I want to know now is :- By unplugging the MAF sensor, does this bypass other sensors too or can I assume that the MAF is faulty and needs replacing? I'm a bit concerned that I'll spend xx amount buying and replacing that to find the problem is still there. Also can we harm the engine by driving with the MAF sensor unplugged?

Thanks for any advice.

G

·
It usually indicates a faulty MAF, if you know someone with the same engine you could test yours on theirs to see if it makesa difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the quick answer. How easy is it to swap out the MAF sensor? I've had a look this afternoon and it looks like you have to take the air filter housing out first to get to it. Additionally how do you get the pipes off the MAF? looks like there are metal bands securing them together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.