Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Scenic seems to go through ball joints fairly quickly. I know the roads around here are not in the best shape, but surely they should last for more than a year, which appears to be around the average length of time they last. The ones on at the moment were bought from Europarts I think. One thing I have just noticed is that in the Haynes manual they mention a "plastic protector plate" and I read somewhere that this goes between the ball/boot and the suspension arm. I cannot remember this ever being fitted on my vehicle, and certainly is not supplied as part of the ball joint "kits" I have purchased. What is the purpose of this disc, and could this be the cause of reduced lifespan for the ball joints ?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The plastic disk is essential it prevents friction and errosion between the rubber boot and the suspension arm. If absent the rubber boot will perforate and allow water to get it.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
24,717 Posts
I have never seen this listed for any ball joint kits and think this must be a Renault genuine fit only..which type of ball joints are fitted to yours ..do you have the round type which have splines on and pressed in and held in place with a circlip or the ones that have an arm and bolt to the lower arm with a few bolts..that type uses two different diameter bolts and are supplied with either 10mm or 12mm bolts..

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
I have never seen this listed for any ball joint kits and think this must be a Renault genuine fit only
For both Clios and Scenics any time I have bought the bolt-on type after-market ball joint kits they have came with new plastic anti-rub washers.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
24,717 Posts
For both Clios and Scenics any time I have bought the bolt-on type after-market ball joint kits they have came with new plastic anti-rub washers.
Really !! ours from ECP didnt come with any..:eek: and they dont show them on their site..they had to be sent back as well due to the fact the came with the wrong size hole in the bloomin arm..:mad: son in law than decided to have them done in a local garage so in the end I dont actually know went on..if there is a plastic washer in the kit then I hope it went on his..thanks for the heads up..:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
In most cases the plastic washer can be re-used as long as it's in good nick - it should be fitted dry and clean - no oil or grease which will attract dust or dirt which can act as an abrasive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, noticed this morning that a few of the kits on eBay include a plastic "disc", most don't however, so I'll make sure this gets fitted this time.

To answer the question above, I have the type which bolts onto the lower suspension arm using 2 x 12mm bolts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd ask another question on this thread. Often when I have fitted new ball joints, I have had to, on occasions, go back some time later and retighten the 2 x 12mm bolts which hold the ball joint onto the lower suspension arm. This is normally after I have heard the occasional knock from the suspension which indicates that the joint is moving slightly on the arm since there is some "slop" as they are not fitted bolts. After retightening, the knock disappears again. Has anyone else had this problem ? I am using the torque specified in the Haynes manual, 65 Nm, though have on occasions increased this. This would not be such a pain, but the tracking can be affected, and require readjustment.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Never had such a problem. If it was a common problem then it would ocur when the car was brand new. I take it you are using brand new bolts when fitting also is possible the bolt holes in the suspension arm are worn??

In my experince on some after-market joints the bolts supplied seem to be poor fitting - in these cases I have re-used the bolts but used the new nuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts