Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan on my 2003 Scenic is not working on any setting. Looking through some of the other postings, I understand that if the fan is not working in positions 1,2, and 3 but works in position 4 then the thermal fuse has gone.

Just to be sure, I located the resistor pack under the top facia panel, removed it and checked the fuse with an ohmeter and it is intact.

Whilst I had the resistor pack out, I was able to see the fan impellor, and was able to turn it with my fingers, so it does rotate.

To narrow this down, since there seems to be so many variations, my resistor pack has 3 connections to it, a large rectangular multipinned connector, a 3 wired small connector, then red and black heavy wires, terminated in a connector which goes down to the fan itself.

If I put 12 volts directly across the red an black wires, assuming the fan is OK, should it spin, or are there other components hidden somewhere ? I read in one post of a relay which is behind the fan, but I cannot feel one.

Does anyone know how many ohms I should read if I put the ohmeter across the red and black wires coming out of the fan ?

Final question, if the fan is indeed dead, does removal and refitting require the ac system to be degassed and regassed as stated in the Haynes book ? Since my set up appears different to the set up in the Haynes manual, wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi mate, When you removed the block connector from the resistor did you check the condition of the pins? as they are common for burning out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Success, fan and heating / ac now fully operational !!

I'm kicking myself for believing what it said in the Haynes manual. I bought the Renault Dialogys parts / maintenance software some time ago on eBay, but haven't really used it due to it's complexity.

However, the other evening spent a long time digging around in it and hey presto, it stated that the fan unit could indeed be removed without having to go through a degass and regass of the ac.

As they stated, it is held in by 3 screws, visible behind a foam cover which I hadn't removed earlier, and I think their method assumes that the entire fascia panel has been removed. However, I got it out without removing the facia. The fan unit, with a lot of struggling then drops out into the passenger footwell. (there is a metal bracket, which could easily be 15mm shorter and remove the problem, which prevents the fan coming out easily, it holds the large fascia bolt, I simply bent this out of the way with pliers, and then back again after fan was reinstalled).

The problem was the fan, but by cleaning the carbon brushes and commutator, it works properly again. The fan motor itself, I worked out, was simply a push fit on rubber bushings into its plastic housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts