Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.9dCi 64,000miles. Feb 2004. FRSH. Current engine oil is amsoil 5w40

Lumpy Idle..

This is at its worst when the engine is cold. A worth mentioning ticking noise can be heard. The rev counter shows the idle revs are regular, its just the whole car shakes like mad! I can feel vibrations on my seat, steering wheel etc, if I give it some revs its fine. When the engine is warm, it is not as severe.

I've tried changing fuel suppliers, using Comma diesel D-Tox and taking the car for a full thrashing in all the gears (well apart from 4th 5th and 6th otherwise I'll be speeding!) The car does about 20k miles a year, and so is used regularly. Its been into Renault for 4 times over this problem, first 2 times: “no fault found”, 3rd time injector cleaner used – no difference, 4th time all four injectors replaced (at 60,000miles) – again no difference when cold, when warm engine is a bit smoother.

Now at 64,000miles I’m still getting severe vibrations and injector ticking noise until the engine has fully warmed up.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've ran out!

Thanks

Phil
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
764 Posts
Remove the rocker cover and check that all the valve springs are intact..
It is not a common problem but it is known to Renault that the springs can break and cause exactly as you have described..

If a spring is broken then the head will have to be removed to repair..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply webcode, just looking through my haynes manual for the car, and obviously this isn't something I can do... I'm assuming Renault will charge an arm and a leg to do this and even still, would it cost a lot to fix if it was a broken valve spring?

I should be sensible to rule out any of the powertrain mounts right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
webcode, I forgot to add... some mornings there is no ticking noise/heavy vibrations at all. This seems to be when the weather outside is quite warm (about 18celsius and over).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,291 Posts
Hi Pw - seeing there is no problem when ambient temp is around 18C there is a possibilty the fuel temperature sensor (if fitted, not all models have it) may be faulty. If you look through the Haynes manual it says it is mounted on the fuel injection rail. There is also a fuel heater incorporated into the fuel filter head.:)

Keep us posted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
many miles later...

I'm at 73,000miles now and I still havent got round to getting the problem sorted.

Now it is colder it is happening on every startup. Weird thing is though, its not like that after I've just started up.

The other morning - I started up, drove about 500 yards then stopped to adjust my satnav. After about a minute of semi smooth idling, I then hear some electric relays click by the glovebox, the engine suddenly changed tone and then the heavy vibrations and what is described in the first post began! During this time I had pressed no buttons or fiddled with any aspect of the car, I was attaching my satnav to the windscreen....

any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh right, I've tried switching the air con on and off - it doesnt make a difference to the state of bad idle the car is at!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,291 Posts
Hi PW - if the engine was running OK you should notice a slight change in engine speed whenever you switch the air-con on or off. As your problem seems to be worse in cold weather it could be one or more of the temperature sensors or their connectons are faulty. The two main sensors which measure temperature are the engine coolant and Inlet Air Temp (IAT) sensors. As far as I know the IAT is built into the MAF sensor. After starting the battery voltage may have been low but after a short distance it may have recovered - thus one of the sensors have woken up so-to-speak. The ECU itself is very sensitive to voltage change. It may be worth getting the battery load tested and the alternator output checked preferably when the engine is cold.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've actually just had a new battery fitted 2 weeks ago as the other one was duff.. the AA guy also checked the alternator whilst he was out and he gave the all clear? No difference in idle characteristics with the new battery!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok I'll try that thanks, but I'm currently not at home and won't be until dec 7th so I'll keep you informed then!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hiya, ok I disconnected the MAF sensor yesterday morning - no difference! :(

current problem stands as its lumpy all the time now, worst when the engine is cold though. (When I say lumpy, i dont mean the engine is hunting or revving irratically, but it is vibrating me in my seat like a seat massager!)

I still do not think it is en engine mount, as once the engine is off idle revs.. everything is perfect..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
If the engine mountings are okay get the flywheel checked out.

I know there is a problem with the dual mass flywheels on some 1.9dCi's.
Symptoms: - vibrations at idle and a rattling noise.

My Megane suffered from vibrations at idle and the dealer investigated the flywheel but it was found to be okay, so just had new engine mounts all round which cured the problem. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the engine mounts were suppose to have been checked out by renault in february this year.

As for the flywheel, would pressing on the clutch whilst idling make a difference to this potential problem? (Currently, pushing the clutch down makes no difference to the idle at all)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
just to recap -

the engine vibrations are random, the engine can be hot or cold, I could have driven 30 miles or 3 - but it only happens when exterior temp is cold. (15c or below)

On a typical journey of 10 miles, when stopped at say a traffic light or roundabout, 80% chance of it vibrating, 20% of the stops.. it wont be.

Revs are constant, turning AC on or off doesn't make a difference. Vibration can be felt by anyone sitting in the car front or back. Engine tone sounds normal from the outside. From the inside, sounds like its ... cannot describe, just doesn't sound 'normal'

When its not vibratiing, the idle is normal, just slight vibration through the steering wheel.

The only time I definately know when it won't be vibrating is the first start up of the day when the engine is cold. After a few minutes of idling after first cold start up, or a drive of half a mile then stopped - I will hear some relays click near the glovebox, then the engine tone will deepen then the vibrations will start.

On cold start up, I also get a ticking noise. Injectors were changed in february to solve this, it didn't..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
910 Posts
i also have similar problems but not on a diesel on my petrol and only when cold aslo was told could be tdc sensor could this be?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top