Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Today my car felt like 1ltr non turbo, it maybe the turbo or EGR valve i guess.

When i accellerate there is revs but no pulling power and about 0 - 60 in 1:30mins.

Any ideas ppl of the problem ?

Can i bypass the EGR for now to check its not the turbo.

Thanks

Paul

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8:) you should take it down to Santa pod lol:d .
it is eathier an egr fault which usually can be cured with a good clean if the end(valve head) has not come off.

also another thing could be that there is a lose induction pipe, especially the main hose from the inter cooler, check to see if its still on and that there is no splits holes. etc

relay should have asked this first lol are you getting any warning lights on the dash now or when it first happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No warning lights and it working intermittently power no power etc.

renault think its a egr problem so i have booked it in

paul

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
yip i would go with that aswell m8 very common as you've probably read:rofl:

good luck with it m8 and let us know how you get on Alex:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi did you resolve this as I am having the same problem with mine, no Error lights or fault codes but intermittant power loss.

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI

Yes it was my EGR valve which was blocked so compression to the engine so no turbo.

Had it replaced under warranty.

hope this helps

paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there any reason why the EGR valve cannot just be disconnected, or blanked off so that it never opens? I know this is done with other common rail diesels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, no smoke for me just lost power and car only went 60 mph.

paul
Just like to thank Only Me and thread-
Exactly my problem- ClioII dci 100 will at times only hit 60mpg or not respond to throttle intermittent-
Will now look into sorting EGR valve- Surely Renault should note this design fault it is so common?

PS I am new and symtoms only started worrying me today- So great result for this board!

update- 12/12/03
Whilst driving home last night the problem got much worse and this morning the same- =MPG on trip meter fell from over 60 to 52 quite suddenly on motorway- and exhaust smoking visible at times from rear view when tried to accelerate.
Called AA (I am AA homestart and relay member)out this morning from work-saying I thought my EGR was sticking and I had just managed to crawl to work-
They came out- cleaned and replaced it and problem solved- Bloke said it was badly gummed up. Driving home -no repeat of smoking exhaust and hesitation or loss of power on acceleration- But I will at later stage be asking someone to give whole assembly a good clean including manifold channels as mentioned on this board.
So if you are with AA- give em a try- Sorted while I worked!
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Just like to thank Only Me and thread-
Exactly my problem- ClioII dci 100 will at times only hit 60mpg or not respond to throttle intermittent-
Will now look into sorting EGR valve- Surely Renault should note this design fault it is so common?

PS I am new and symtoms only started worrying me today- So great result for this board!

update- 12/12/03
Whilst driving home last night the problem got much worse and this morning the same- =MPG on trip meter fell from over 60 to 52 quite suddenly on motorway- and exhaust smoking visible at times from rear view when tried to accelerate.
Called AA (I am AA homestart and relay member)out this morning from work-saying I thought my EGR was sticking and I had just managed to crawl to work-
They came out- cleaned and replaced it and problem solved- Bloke said it was badly gummed up. Driving home -no repeat of smoking exhaust and hesitation or loss of power on acceleration- But I will at later stage be asking someone to give whole assembly a good clean including manifold channels as mentioned on this board.
So if you are with AA- give em a try- Sorted while I worked!
Thanks all.
So glad to read your post! I have been having the same problem.. lots of smoke, at night with someone behind me you can literally make them 'disappear' into the mist under heavy acceleration. I've had a really evident cut in power at times, only briefly, but the electronic fault light comes on while power is down.

Anyway got a guide to cleaning this EGR valve? Special stuff to use? anything definitely not to use?

·
Registered
69 Posts
removing EGR

see below- its easier for me to cut and paste things--- sorry-

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28024&highlight=egr&page=5

==========
TOOLS REQUIRED to remove EGR- Good socket set with extension. Sharp flat blade screwdriver to prize apart Valve from manifold housing-
Work on flat smooth surface to catch dropper nuts and bolts that fall thru engine bay!

--Quote -see below=
Hi Barber - to get the EGR valve out you will need loads of patience and plenty of carburettor cleaner. I used a small punch and hammer and tap it it either direction gently whilst spraying down the port inside the inlet manifold. Spray it - let it sit give it few gentle taps - repeat this process until it beigins to turn freely. When I did mine the outer part came adrift but I was able to bolt it back on and luckily it still worked. Good Luck and have plenty of patience.
=============

If you do want to clean it- use a flat driver to scrape off inside valve housing and IMPORTANTLY and coke inside manifold and the internal galleries- or channels that direct the gas flow inside where EGR sits .
---------
My opinion- don't clean EGR- just get a 2nd hand one from 'justrenaults.co.uk' There are two types - both will fit.
---
there is a way to test the EGR function using multimeter
http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/pg_si_0085_en_web.pdf
They above say advice is do NOT clean EGR - it may get damaged- I noticed also even a bit of soot left on the valve head can allow a bit of gas to leak through a pin hole gap.
--

-----------
IMPORTANT info provided by recent poster-- REPLACE oil with FULLY synthetic to get full lifespan out of your new EGR-This -he said- solved his cokeing up EGR problems.
==

·
Registered
16 Posts
1.5 dci power loss

yep, i have recently had this problem too.

not long had the car and the next oil service is due in about 6 thousand miles ...but i decided to do one myself and changed the oil (10/40 semi sin) and oil filter.

since i did this (3 days ago) i have had power loss once after driving about quarter of a mile and the next time after driving about 30 miles.

i have read a thread from 'faz11a' and the link to a technical site of the 'egr'. it states that a cause of power loss could be
"exceeding of the specified maintenance intervals"
....am i correct in assuming this incorporates changing the engine oil early...why would this affect the egr?

also it says that another cause could be
"engine oil level too high"

i will check my oil level but any ideas on the 'oil servicing out of sync' theory please?

·
Registered
16 Posts
just discovered that the engine oil capacity for the 1.5dci 100bhp is 4.5 ltrs with filter change.

i havent over filled mine as previously thought so now only the 'oil change before the stated interval' theory to check out.....any ideas as to why this should affect the egr?

thanx peeps

·
Registered
69 Posts
Exceeding the service interval means leaving it too long not doing it b4 its is due- that is not the problem of course.

The whole EGR carbonising thing in my opinion is very prone to detiorated oil quality- Whip out the EGr - have a look at it at least-check for carbon deposits that stop it working properly. Even if it looks clean it may not be working properly- The 'electrics' inside can go duff too. Do a proper 'search' from the menu above the posts here on the phrase EGR valve- you will see a lot of info.

'Old' oil will break down easy and form 'carbon'- That is why changing oil and leaving it near full is important. By the way It was suggested use Fully Sythetic oil to help EGR stay clean for much longer- Not semi-synth.

2 week ago I left my oil cap on loose by accident so lost oil level rapidly- Only that little mistake was enough to cause a sluggish engine for a week or two- I topped oil up again soon-after. Performance has now recovered by itself- I cleaned out the EGR as well which did help- Actually used 3-in-1 oil and lots of scrubbing with rags/blue roll.

More senior member will know better but check the oil filter and fuel filter -where they replaced properly and no 'bubbles left in line- Try squeezing the 'priming' bulb on fuel line- I think

- I use diesel additive too- Reddox - I think it helps anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just a correction- The performance of my clio is still not right- I have to floor the accellerator pedal just to pull away at a decent pace- Something else wrong here- Could be the turbo giving up- Wel I do have 160K on the clock! Have had new plugs in recently so it is not that- The EGR I cleaned and tested with multimeter so it should not be that- Strange that just one morning a couple of weeks ago it started doing that after I let oil levels get very low as described above post. Any ideas let me know- I will now search the board for any hints but I fear it could be the turbo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From my search- It seems that it is still the EGR that is at fault- The 'tappet itself' not just the 'mushroom head' can get gummed up and it will be IMO impossible to clean properly cos it runs inside a cylindrical housing at its base- see link -below- look under 'poor accelleration'

http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/pg_si_0039_en_web.pdf

Even overheating the EGR (eg by me not leaving enough oil in engine) can damage it -( read the diagnostics bit in above link). looks like another £100 to spend - I don't think it is turbo hopefully which would be even more expensive.

Think I'll get a 2nd hand BMW 3 series diesel next time when this Clio reaches over 200K. It has served well so far and very economical apart from this EGR thing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Update-- Yesterday morning- - The engine started and I let it idle 1 minute before moving off- Amazingly it pulled away back to normal - I cannot explain this- Something has 'reset' in the EGR or ECU by itself- All I have done is run a tank full through with diesel additive in.
Pleasant surprise but I wish I knew why this happened. Something to do with the injectors and the additive treatment (redex).?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I still need to get my EGR sorted i belive. Although I havent had it off to check, I'm still getting the injection warning light intermittent after doing the following.

-New Fuel Filter change, completely filling the filter with DieselAid, and putting the rest in the tank (its an additive which gets rid of water plus lubricates piezo commonrail injection needles). I was initially worried it was water in the fuel giving me the warning.

-New Air Filter

-Forte Flush on the Castrol Edge Fully synth, pretty decent draining.
-Replaced Oil filter and refilled with Mobil1 Fully Synth.

Also had cambelt and waterpump done, so had brand new coolant put into entire system.

Doesnt seem to be any loss of oil or coolant, but getting white'ish smoke under hard acceleration and intermittent fault.

I have RAC roadside, if it happens on the way to work again i might call them out as then the fault code should be recently stored.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts