Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2004 Clio 1.2 16v with the D4F 722 engine with approx 89k (on the original engine).

A few weeks ago (early May), I went to use the car after it had been stood for a good number of weeks (I'd estimate 6 weeks). The car started first time but the 'exhaust gas monitor warning light' came on. I drove a few miles and the warning light alternated between flashing and solid. I've not driven it since.

After reading up on here and a few other sites, I bought a Proscan ELM327 ODBII Bluetooth adaptor.

Using my my Android phone, Car Scanner software (confirmed by Torque Lite) reports the following codes (all with status 'Confirmed');

P0313 Misfire detected - low fuel level

P0638 Throttle actuator control (TAC) - bank 1 - range/performance problems

P0304 Cylinder 4 - misfire detected

I've not attempted to clean or check anything yet. I've read a lot of posts on here where people have gone straight in cleaning throttle bodies or even replacing them. As there are some very knowledgable people on here I thought I'd ask what to investigate first.

I assume P0313 and P0304 could be related but P0638 is unlikely to be related to the first two codes?

Other info that might be helpful;

1. The Ignition coil was replaced (by a local garage) in Aug 2017. The throttle body was also cleaned and new spark plugs fitted. I've probably done less than 9,000 miles since then.

2. The temperature gauge has been reading low (only 2 bars rather than 4) for at least a year. On checking (hand on the hose) a while back, the thermostat appeared to be operating normally. I intended fitting a new coolant temperature sensor this spring, then Covid lockdown started (I have no drive, so usually go to my mother's house to use the drive).

3. I last put petrol in on 07/02/20. The fuel level is now low but the warning light is not on i.e. probably at least 10 litres in (light comes on at 8 litres).

So, what's the first thing I should check? I have socket sets and a multimeter but no fuel pressure gauge.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,174 Posts
I went to use the car after it had been stood for a good number of weeks (I'd estimate 6 weeks).
My immediate thought is that is the problem.... something got sticky, glogged or the like.

Assuming it is running fairly well, I'd give it a bit of a blow out.... not too far from home and only where you can walk home if the worst occurs (and AA card to hand)
See if a few revs blows the cobwebs out?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply DD.

Went out this morning intending to clean the engine bay up before I start investigating. As soon as I opened the bonnet I could immediately see a completely severed ignition lead on Cylinder 4! Never thought to have a quick look under the bonnet when the warning light first came on. Would have saved me lots of worry and hours looking at forums and OBDII codes.

Looks like the Coil is the type with integrated leads. I went round to the garage that fitted the piece of rubbish; predictably they didn't want to know.

So what coil should I be looking to purchase? Presumably the more expensive option of seperate leads and coil? Anyone recommend a brand that will last?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a laugh ay my expense;

Fitted a new coil today. Tried starting the car. It appeared to start but stalled immediately. Same again 2nd time.

Had a think about what I'd been doing. I'd been cleaning up the engine bay, and to stop any spray entering the throttle body, I'd placed an old disposable glove with a small sponge in the open throttle body housing. I'd only forgotten to take it out:rolleyes:!

Anyway, car runs fine now and slightly surprisingly, no codes at all. Thought the P0638 might have hung around but presumably all the codes were consequential.

Here's a photo of the severed lead:

Can anyone tell me if I've routed the leads correctly. Here's some pics:

I'm happy enough with Cyl 1 and 2. Not so happy with 3 and 4. It's a Hella 5DA 358 000 581 coil. I'd expected the leads for 3 and 4 to be shorter but they're all the same length. The coil checks out as correct for the car on the Hella website though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts