Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Modus 1.5dCi 80
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, driving my and my pup to a woodland walk, my dog was sick (froth) over the handbrake. She sometimes gets overexcited when she’s in the car (front pass. ‘doggy’ seat), this rarely leads to her being sick. Sick as in just frothy liquid/spit.

Anyways, this ‘liquid ingress’ went into the handbrake area, I tried my best to give a quick wipe up, but almost immediately the ‘Parking Brake On’ display message came up along with the ((!)) red light (stop).

Got home, wafted a paper towel in the area, no change in the above.

It’s obvious that the sensor has been affected by the ‘spill’, I’ve cleaned to the best of my ability, is it just a case of letting it dry out? I’ve no idea what I’m looking at/for with this, and am trying to avoid a trip to a garage as much as possible!

Help!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,912 Posts
Sorry but I had to laff, that is one of the weirdest "faults" I've seen in a long while.
I trust the pup is suitably repentant... as if, she just enjoyed her walk.

The handbrake has a switch which is simply make or break to earth.
I suspect the sick has shorted this out so the system thinks that the parking brake is on.
If you can remove the central trim, you should be able to get in an clean properly.
Probably will sort itself as it dries out but acidic content could corrode and give longer term issues.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,089 Posts
The cause and solution in only two posts. We don't often see that here. You describe the problem and the events leading up to it perfectly.....
I'm not being sarcastic, you'd be surprised how many would just say "parking brake warning on, what's causing it?"

·
Registered
2004 Modus 1.5dCi 80
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry but I had to laff, that is one of the weirdest "faults" I've seen in a long while.
I trust the pup is suitably repentant... as if, she just enjoyed her walk.

The handbrake has a switch which is simply make or break to earth.
I suspect the sick has shorted this out so the system thinks that the parking brake is on.
If you can remove the central trim, you should be able to get in an clean properly.
Probably will sort itself as it dries out but acidic content could corrode and give longer term issues.
Well, I did think about being vague about the cause but sometimes kids and animals need shaming for their own good (joke!).

Thanks so much for the quick response and good advice, I will give a little time for drying out and maybe attempt some dismantling tomorrow!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,912 Posts
I'm not being sarcastic, you'd be surprised how many would just say "parking brake warning on, what's causing it?"
But we all have Crystal Balls...or at least many seem to think so.
It is a damn sight easier when people tell us what happened

@MindMyModus
This may help with the central trim.
You can see the switch at the bottom of the assembly at around 1.50mins
I'm not convinced there are no screws to remove at the rear of the trim??
Renault Modus hanbrake handle removal - YouTube

Well, I did think about being vague about the cause
Please don't, simple cause, simple solution, a lot better then guessing games.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts