Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate your help with this very annoying problem I have been facing since I purchased this 2004 Renault Kangoo Expression 1.5 Dci for a general run around a few months ago. It does have high mileage 103Km but well Maintained and well looked after. I have had a few Renaults over the years always liked them and always found them reliable and enjoyed servicing and working on them. Until now…lol

The vehicle runs and drives fine when started, But I am getting 2 x constant warning lights on the dash console (Red engine light , Orange Glow Pug) that will not go out!!

I believe the STOP Red engine light is for the engine sensors warning light via the ECU, Orange Engine light is the Glow plug & can also double up as an ECU warning light, But not 100% sure if that correct and in that order.

“But what is driving me crazy is that I am getting a constant 12V live feed to the glow plug leads, with the Ign turn On & OFF” and even when the engine is running!! (Not the usual 6- 8 seconds through the glow plug relay as you would expect when ign is ON?)

FYI: I am a retired Mechanic, and have been out of the game now for a number of years!
So please try and bear with me…..

I knew this wasn’t going to resolve the problem, But I gave the car a full service anyway, inc, all oils / filters, Glow plugs, timing belt, the full works as it was due for one anyway. It has always took some time to start when cold in the morning but once running it runs like a dream, no loss of power what so ever and runs great. Not Blowing any Black or white exhaust smoke on starting or running.

Unfortunately I leant my OBD2 ECU code reader and diagnostic tool to my nephew who is now away on Bloody holiday for two weeks….Typical just when you need It?

I am sure that this is definitely either an electrical, Bad earth,Faulty relay, Faulty sensor, or a failed ECU.
I know these models are prone to corrosion in the fuse / relay box under the bonnet. So I will list everything I have done to try resolve the problem so far:
* Key fob / Immobiliser all working OK
* Battery / Alternator, Starter Motor all working correctly, wiring / Connections all clean & Good.
* Cleaned and checked all Wiring connections, fuses, relays In under Bonnet Fuse Box. All checked & tested OK. No chaffed wires,no rusted connections all looks well.
* Cleaned and checked all earthing points on Engine, in Fuse Box, Battery etc..
* Removed cleaned TDC sensor.
* Replaced Glow Pug Relay.
* Replaced glow plugs
* Removed Cleaned & tested EGR valve
* Cleaned and checked all the sensor connections on the engine.

But for the life of me I cannot figure out why I am getting a constant 12 v to glow plugs all the time!!
I am praying it is not the ECU?

Any Advise or help would be greatly appreciated
ManyThanks
Paul McK

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI: just a quick update to my very annoying electrical fault.

I managed to borrow a hand held Diagnostic / error code reader this morning and tested and checked my Kangoo via the OBDII connection to ECU.
The only error code listed was the EGR fault code!!
As per my list of checks and repairs above, I had removed cleaned and tested the EGR and it was working fine!!

But for the life of me I can't see how that would give me a constant 12v power supply to my Glow Plugs!!!

I cleared the fault code and it the red STOP warning light has now cleared from the Instrument cluster as you would expect.

It starts and runs fine, but the yellow Glow plug Light stays on constantly while the engine is running and I am still getting a constant 12v to the glow plugs, even when the engine is turned "off" and not running? (The yellow glow plug light on the Dash does go out when the Ign is turned off)
So at the moment I have left the Glow plug connector disconnected for obvious reasons!!

Has anyone come across anything like this before that could give me some help and advise. It's driving me insane!.lol :mad:

I have read through a lot similar problems on the forum, that I have doubled checked on mine, but I haven't found anything as yet that has proved helpful to my actual electrical fault.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Paul

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,018 Posts
Did you ever solve the problem?
Depends which part of the problem.
A constant 12v feed to the glow plugs is often found with some meters.... the glow plug module puts a very low power feed through the glow plugs to self check them.

If you are asking about the glow plug light being constantly on, this is showing an engine, often injection fault.
Nothing to do with glow plugs.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,018 Posts
Surely that would also register a fault code if it was an injector problem
Injection problem, not injector problem.
Bear in mind that Renault, as all makers, only put error codes out to the diagnostic port for EOBD readers that they have to. Generally to do with emission control.
There are a lot more errors and diagnostics available via that port but requires a diagnostic reader that talks Renault.

What issue have you got, we may be able to pin it down further for you?

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK so having got rid of some other problems, I'm left with what would seem to be a common problem that no one seems to know the answer to.
Glow plug light on and smoking from a cold start.
The smoke is defiantly unburnt diesel. The lights on but No fault codes and no other lights on.
I have reduced the smoke by improving the earth from engine to battery, but it's still definitely there, once the coolant is up to temperature not a wiff to be seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts