Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Second question tonight.

I have a Scenic II, 2004, and was looking at changing it after Xmas, but to be honest, with 50,000 miles on it and a 1.5dci, I would be mad.

So I think I'll treat it to a few upgrades.

Can I fit newer headlights from a 2006, they look exactly the same shape, same for the rear tail lights?

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I'm not so sure!

Compare the 2005 (same front as yours) with a face lifted 2007. To me, the later model head lights have a more natural curve alongside the grill area whereas the earlier model has quite a drastic angle change;

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi.. According to a couple of Motor Factors (couldn't get an answer from Renault), the headlights from 2003-2009 are the same fitment.

And here is the big but............. having just spent two weeks diagnosing, tracing and fixing a multitude of electrical faults on my parents Scenic 2006, most of which were present from new, I finally noticed that Scenic 2 Phase 1 (2003-2006) headlights do not conform to Construction and Use regulations... ie the Main Beam is the outer of the pair of lights, which would make them illegal.

I thought it was maybe just an imported car problem, but looking on ebay at all the early lights, they clearly have the H7 bulb shroud on the inner reflector which is therefore the dipped one.

Now if the whole unit counts as one light, then this might circumvent regulations, but I don't want to be the one telling this to a traffic cop..

If anybody has the answer before I go and buy some new projector headlights, then please feel free to reply....

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Just trying my luck but I don't suppose any of the electrical faults on your parents scenic included front fogs not working did it? Mine have never worked. The light on the dash comes on but the lights at the front don't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fortunately for me, that wasn't one of the faults. If you have a renault CLIP interface (~£90 on ebay) then you can activate and test them electronically and check the reading from individual switch positions which helps isolate the source of the problem. I'm presuming it's not just a fuse hidden in the UCH computer box (which you can pick up the whole relay and fuse computer UCH on ebay for around £30).

Now I've just got to get around to fixing the aircon and wash/wipe on my megane cc.....

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Because I'm a pedant I checked. This is what I found:-
2. Position;

(a) Longitudinal:
No requirement

(b) Lateral;

(i)Where two dipped-beam headlamps are required to be fitted;

(A)Maximum distance from the side of the vehicle;

(1)Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (2) or (3):
400 mm
That's almost 16" in old money. Doesn't say whether that's to the centre or the edge, either way IMHO we Mk2 Ph1 Scenic owners are just legit.
At least it doesn't take 43 mins to change an H7 like it does with the Megane:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for that, Tim... And while I would agree that it conforms to those specifications, I am still sure there is another stipulation, and that is that where there is more than one pair of lights, the last ones to go off, ie dipped beams, have to be at least as close to the edge of the car as any other pair.
This isn't the case with the early Scenic 2, unless you count the single fitted unit with both reflectors, as a single lamp.

However they are better lights than my later megane has.
I have the regulations in a book somewhere..just got to find them.
Garry..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well for all the Scenic 2 phase 1 owners:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/5/made

And for Tim, not pendatic enough..lol.. because like me you probably checked on the dipped beam requirements, which of course you were right, no lateral position requirements. But, unfortunaley the lateral requirement according to the statute in the attached hyperlink:

b) Lateral–

(i)Where two main-beam headlamps are required to be fitted–

(A)Maximum distance from the side of the vehicle:
The outer edges of the illuminated areas must in no case be closer to the side of the vehicle than the outer edges of the illuminated areas of the obligatory dipped-beam headlamps.

(B)Maximum separation distance between a pair of main-beam headlamps:
No requirement

Well that stuffs my budget for the old heap. Just forked out for power-folding mirrors (it's too wide for garage doors), now it will be new headlamps...

Unless anyone else knows better...

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Well it took you 3 days to find it. Let's hope the thick plod don't catch on. :d
In my defence your honour, "I would have expected a major car manufacturer to comply with English law". :eek:
How many "illegal" Mk2 ph1's are there running around, with their unknowing owners? :eek::eek:
Can we ask Renault to sponsor updating our cars to comply with the law?
At least it's easier to change the dipped H7's in their current location.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
having both a 2005 and 2008 grand scenic I can pretty much say if you wanted to put 2008 lights in a 2004 you will need the matching bumper as lights (MAY) bolt to slam panel but they have a different lens shape. As for the back lights again unless the wiring connector is different they look (not confirmed) as they MAY fit.... but I had a 05 and 55 grand scenic same car colour etc but I found subtle little differences i.e the boot light (internal) while it looked the same both cars 1 was a capless wedge bulb and 1 was a festoon bulb, so again really hard to say....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts