Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got back from Walker Renault in Stourbridge, our Scenic 1.9Dci Dynamique has always had very poor heating/blower strength especially in drivers footwell - front passenger footwell slightly better but still pretty rubbish for a modern car. The Renault Technician said he'd compared it to another Scenic and found the performance of the heater to be similar with slightly improved airflow on passenger side. So he said they had checked the pollen filter which appeared to be not causing a problem so this appeared to be the norm and there was nothing they could do about it. I cannot believe this from a modern car - that they can't even get the heater working properly?? So does any one have a similar problem? If so we should all let Renault know that there is a severe design fault which needs to be rectified. I won't be keeping this much longer if it can't be fixed and certainly wont buy another renault if you can't even keep warm in the winter!!!!!!:steam: :steam: :steam:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
My Scenic II ( Petrol ) has an excellent heater in all the settings, The only thing I have found with the diesel engined cars is a slower timescale to receiving heat in the cold morning.

I would query their findings.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ottoman, I had a suspicion this might be the case - it is good to know someone has an efficient heater out there in Scenic 11 land!! We are otherwise more than happy with the car.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
My Scenic II ( Petrol ) has an excellent heater in all the settings, The only thing I have found with the diesel engined cars is a slower timescale to receiving heat in the cold morning.

I have to agree, my diesel scenic is slow to heat up

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts

I have to agree, my diesel scenic is slow to heat up

Yes, Screen defrosting is a problem in the very cod mornings, My last diesel car had an electric heated front screen which made a huge difference.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes our 1.9 dci engine takes a long time to heat up from cold and takes forever on really cold days, but even when fully warm - the heater is very poor especially in the drivers footwell - my cat can breathe harder than the flow of air from the vent!! For a car that is 2 1/2 years old I am surprised it is not more efficient. Any ideas as to what i might suggest it is? The Renault technician said it is not the matrix as this would affect the engine temperature and could cause the engine to overheat.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I'm on a 2005 2.2 litre dCi Lag and agree with the comments on poor blower strength on the feet, although I must add that if the cars been going for miles and miles, and miles, and miles, and miles the car does get pretty hot.

But compared to my daughters 1.1 litre Fiesta the heat on the feet in the Lag is not good.

Although its fair to say I had a similar conversation with our kid Horatio ;) who said and I agree, it wasn't really fair to compare a petrol car heater with a diesel, because a petrol engine develops, and wastes more heat.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Thank goodness i thought i was the only one with cold feet in winter!!!!

I travel to work around 4.30am in morning and my car sometimes doesnt get to the 5 full temp bars usually it does when around 2-3 C but any less and it reaches just the 4 bars. Thats after a 15 min journey too. Dash board vent throw out plenty of heat after 3-4 mins or so. I know what you mean though about cold feet! Brugghhhh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:mad:

By far the worst feature of my 2004 Scenic 11 is the cr*p heater/blower.

True it's a diesel powered vehicle but come on......

I can drive some 5-6 miles before any heat wafts out of my dashboard.

My 1984 Austin Mini has a better heater than the Scenic
( and that's saying something ) ;)

Come on Mr Renault, design another log to go on the fire!

·
Registered
21 Posts
And I thought we were the only ones!

We have a 52 reg Scenic which has similar problems, compared to my Mondeo the Scenics blowers are less than pathetic.

A recent health check at the local Renault rip off merchant advised the air con was in-operative - no mention that that the air velocity coming out of the vents was equal to an ants fart!

We are debating whether to spend £50 to get the air con sorted as it wasn't that great before - does anyone know if getting this serviced and re-filled will make much of a difference?

Cheers
Fraser

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Poor heat

Hi Fraser - have you double-checked the pollen filter - if it were mine I would see what the heater runs like with it removed.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the advice madnoel, I will try that.

The car has just been in for a service in which I think they should have changed it but I will see what it is like with it out.

Cheers
Fraser

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Poor air supply through heating system

HI Fraser -I strongly recommend you do - from what I hear many garages don't change the pollen filter unless requested despite it being in the service list. My mate had his Laguna II serviced twice by an official renault agent and the filter hadn't been changed. I put a new one in for him and now he says it "would blow the head of ye"
:)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I got to be honest, when I had my pollen filter changed after 21 - 22k miles, (this was the first time it had been changed BTW) and although the Stealer said it was pretty bad, I didn't notice any significant difference in the amount of heat going down to the foot wells at all.

I dunno about the Scenic 11 but on my Lag I'm told the direction of the hot air is controlled by 5 small electric motors hidden under the dash. Furthermore the only way these motors can be tested as working, is by connecting the car to the diagnostic gizzmo. :crazy:

Considering the volume of air that you can get from the dash central 2 vents, I still can't figure out why when the air is directed there, theres so little of it seems to get down to the feet.

Although I have noticed even when the air is directed solely to the feet, what seems to me to be a massive amount is actually going up to the front and side front windows.

:rofl: I hope some of this makes some sense, you see I don't drink, :rolleyes: but I've had one too many sherry. :d

1 - 14 of 14 Posts