Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

I have a pretty strange problem with my Modus which has been happening in burts but is not happening all the time.

I start the car and when i try to turn it off the engine still runs (the car is driveable with no keys). The only way to stop it is either to stall it or for some reason put it in reverse which stops the engine every time.

A friend suggested it might be the ignition barrel that needs replacing. Any comments or suggestions please.

I will be taking it to a Renault dealer as soon as I can ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car is also having problems starting. The only certain way i've found to get it to start is to put it in reverse before turning the ignition.

Also - on the times that the engine does turn off and I take the key out. The cooling fan kicks in and does not stop! I've taken the fuse out for now so the battery does not get drained.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning All,

I have a pretty strange problem with my Modus which has been happening in burts but is not happening all the time.

I start the car and when i try to turn it off the engine still runs (the car is driveable with no keys). The only way to stop it is either to stall it or for some reason put it in reverse which stops the engine every time.

A friend suggested it might be the ignition barrel that needs replacing. Any comments or suggestions please.

I will be taking it to a Renault dealer as soon as I can ...
Hi did you sort it out? i have same problem?
Thanks
T Hughes

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem hear. The car is doing the same thing as yours any news on what the problem is or how you cured it. Many thanks ajp

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have the exact same issue on 05 modus......... Wont start some of the time and then can turn of and take key out and car stays running. Is it an engine ECU controller?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had same problem , plus battery was draining after a day or so of being idle. I read about water in engine bay fuse box and checked mine out , difficult to remove so took as many connector plugs out as possible and sprayed with lots of wd 40, did same with top 2 plugs into ecu lots of wd40 , then blew all out with vacuum cleaner on blow ( no airline ) found water leaking in from plastic window seal / cover on right hand side due to a broken clip done by my mechanic when changing a spring. sealed with silicone and just in case any drops leaked down to ecu u stuck a plastic self sealing envelope acting as a flap / cover over ecu plugs to deflect any drips away, 3 weeks later , no more problems . Hope this helps someone , i would check that cover first to make sure it is tight against windscreen , if its not that is almost certainly the source of the problems , the rest is down to the water getting in around these important electrics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts