Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i've have my Clio for about 4 months now, since i've owned it it's always done this thing where it will idle really badly (only for a few minutes) after starting it if i just leave it parked. If i start the car and drive it off straight away, it will lose and regain power about 3-4 times as im driving along, whilst i'm just holding the accelerator down consistently. (I'm saying this as i hope this'll help figure out what my current problem is).

But about a month ago the engine pretty much started deciding itself when it would and wouldn't start up, when this was happening all the lights would work fine and I would hear the noise as if it's turning over but just wouldn't start. We ended up cleaning the Crankshaft sensor and it started first time perfectly ever since then.. then suddenly 2 days ago it's decided not to start and all of a sudden the Electric Fault light has come on, this time when i try to start it, it doesn't turn over, just nothing. (But all lights and dashboard lights still work).

Now i'm thinking it cant be the battery because i've had that changed within the last 4 months..? I've also changed the spark plugs aswell incase that helps determine what it could be.

So i'm just wondering if you all had any suggestions about what it could be/what it's most likely to be? Thank you!

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,821 Posts
How long has it been since you cleaned the crank sensor..maybe its dirty again..doesn't take long for them to get dirty due to the location of it..:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Try replacing the crank sensor. I cleaned my laguna one and two days later it went wonky......fitted a chea ebay one and away it went. They aren't expensive and it might rule that out

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,742 Posts
Can we get something clear here, I tend to misunderstand at times.
Are you saying the starter is now not turning the engine,.. OR the starter is turning/cranking the engine but it wont start up

·
39,742 Posts
I tend to read everything differently, and a few times to try and make sense .
Dont want Billy stripping a car if not stripping right part

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,670 Posts
Can we get something clear here, I tend to misunderstand at times.
Are you saying the starter is now not turning the engine,.. OR the starter is turning/cranking the engine but it wont start up
Not cranking if I am reading right.

Which says to me a different fault.
Electronic fault light on dash.
Would like that clarified, a photo possibly?

Starter feed, battery terminal fuses, underbonnet fuses or relays, earth, starter motor, summat else?

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,821 Posts
Not cranking if I am reading right.

Which says to me a different fault.
Electronic fault light on dash.
Would like that clarified, a photo possibly?

Starter feed, battery terminal fuses, underbonnet fuses or relays, earth, starter motor, summat else?
Yep reread the first post..engine not turning over nuffink..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again all, i just want to say thank you for taking time to help me out!

Today me and my dad went out and tried to find out anything wrong on it but nothing.. electric fault light still coming on.

I recorded a quick video to explain what i'm trying to say -

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to add a link on these forums but just add this after the youtube .com - /watch?v=hmIXrawf0R4

also it wouldn't of been more than 1.5/2 months ago that the crack sensor was cleaned.

·
39,742 Posts
Thanks to skymax we know it cranks, would go on dirtyleeds suggestion, and change the crank sensor first...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had something like that happen to me on a few occasions.
One time, went to change my crankshaft pulley, did a lousy job of tightening it and the timing shifted.
Next, I broke the jack that goes to the TDC sensor, did a terrible job of repairing it and some oil ended up in the electrical portion of the sensor, the car refused to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to you guys we now have it back up and running! We ended up just replacing the crank sensor altogether and now it starts fine.

BUT.. the rough idling is still there.

When i start it itll idle at about 1000 revs for about 5 minutes, then drop down and almost stall if i don't keep the revs up by pressing the accelerator on and off. It'll do this for a couple of minutes and then once i get driving it'll be fine until the next day or so.

So, any suggestions as to where i should start with solving this problem?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Billyfab did u manage to fix ur car? Its happening to my car same thing , I've change my TDC sensor still engine not turning over...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts