Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My Trafic won’t start. The battery seems good. 12.6volts and showing 767 cca on a 760 battery. When I turn the ignition key (2nd stage) there are 4 or 5 clicking noises seemingly coming from under the floor underneath the battery, which I’m presuming is where the starter motor is, or around the rear of the dash/cabin (hard to pinpoint).
Where do I go next, in order of importance/obvious faults to get her going. Should I just gently persuade the starter motor with a hammer first? Then where do I try? Googling just goes round in circles with blame placed on relays, solenoids, sensors etc.
I’m just looking for a probable cause check list if someone would be so kind.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid is energising, so yes, try tapping the starter with a hammer with someone else turning the key. If it starts, look in to a new starter. Or stripping and servicing the one on there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately still not starting. I’ve cleaned all of the terminals and checked the fuses. I’ve changed the fuel filter and am now thinking EGR valve might be the culprit. Apparently the 2.5 has a combined EGR and anti shudder valve. Now whilst a “caked up” EGR shouldn’t prevent the van from starting, could the ASV be stuck closed from the carbon deposits and restricting any air flow which would? Does anyone have any suggestions for pictures and/or video to help with its location, removal and cleaning?
Finally should I be checking anything else obvious or potentially the problem, wiring, sensors etc?
TIA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Space cadet. isn’t the shudder valve designed to literally shut everything down and kill the engine?
If this is stuck closed, wouldn’t this lead to a non starter?
Is there anything that you’d suggest please?
TIA

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,345 Posts
If you have power at the trigger wire to the starter , and power at the large lead on the starter, its starter ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Space cadet. isn’t the shudder valve designed to literally shut everything down and kill the engine?
If this is stuck closed, wouldn’t this lead to a non starter?
Is there anything that you’d suggest please?
TIA
If you have power at the trigger wire to the starter , and power at the large lead on the starter, its starter ..
I think that I may have gone a bit gung ho with the starter motor as the problem. The van is cranking but not firing, so I’m presuming it’s either fuel or spark? Of course with modern ish engines that could also mean sensors. So to date, I’ve now changed the crank and cam shaft sensors (crank being an absolute bi**h)
I’ve started removing the EGR on my way to the throttle body. I’m hoping it’s a stuck ASV. EGR and the metal breather pipe were absolutely caked in a gooey black tar!!!
Any other advice will be greatly received.
currently I’ve removed 3 bolts from the throttle body but I am wondering how it separates? I don’t want to do any damage. There’s a short length of rubber sleeve on top with a jubilee clip each end, then the metal manifold pipe that the exhaust gases travel through.
ive tried and tried to find any diagrams, photos or videos online, but absolutely nothing available. I’m really hoping there’s an experienced Renault technician that could shed some light on this for me PLEASE.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,345 Posts
So the engine is cranking now.
Have you tried some easystart to see if it will start..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the engine is cranking now.
Have you tried some easystart to see if it will start..
Sorry guys, yeah it’s cranking. I have sprayed some easy start. The EGR is filthy and the breather pipe was full of sludge. Really hoping it’s the ASV. Any help getting the throttle body off would be greatly appreciated. Have removed 3 bolts as mentioned above, but not sure which end to proceed from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts