Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I've just had the car's MOT & service and got told it's cambelt is due to be replaced. This was at a Renault dealer so I expect the £499 quoted is fairly steep. What price would be reasonable?

The car has only got 27k miles on it so I'm not sure if there's anything else that would need doing at the same time as I'd rather just get it out the way and done with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leo

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

I would have thought you could get the job done for around £300ish at a small independent garage.

Worth having the water pump checked as that runs off the timing belt.

Would be as well to get the auxiliary belt changed a the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
( I just replied so sorry if this pops up twice but I didn't see it when I refreshed the page )

Thanks for the reply.

How much extra would the pump & aux belt be would you imagine?

I've also read about making sure that when the belt is changed you ask for the entire kit. Not just the belt. I don't fully understand it though so any clarification on that would be great :).

Thanks again.

R

·
0 Posts
I wouldn’t have though the auxiliary belt should have been any more than £20 if you have A/C and less than that if you don’t have A/C as the belt will be shorter. I would think the water pump would be around £40?

Yes have a complete timing belt kit fitted with guide and belt adjuster roller. Not only can the timing belt break the guide rollers can also fail the bearings in the rollers can seize or the rollers break as Renault use plastic ones. Here is photo of one I took off a Scenic recently it’s split right through!:eek: Very very lucky it didn’t break in two! :d

Here is a guide roller that’s collapsed and whilst the timing belt is chewed up and still in one piece the effect on the engine was the same as the timing belt snapping as all the valves in the cylinder head go bent! :eek:
HTH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the reply I really appreciate it but another "problem" seems to have popped up.

It's just had it's service & MOT and was perfectly fine before hand but I jumped in the car two days ago while it was raining and it wouldn't start. After trying a few times it eventually did but would cut out almost instantly. After that it got a little bit more stable but the revs would randomly drop, sometimes cutting the engine out, sometimes not.

It was fine after about 15 minutes but just this morning I noticed it again, dropping very low on the rev counter although not fully cutting out.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it have anything to do with having the service recently done?

The car has been hardly driven since it got done last monday.

R

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't have thought so? though it does seem a bit of a coincidence?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts