Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to this forum. Just bought my first Clio last week, a 2006 Clio II 1.2 16v Campus sport with 74,000 miles and full service history. When the engine is cold and I try and accelerate, there is no power and the car either doesn't move, even in first gear with my foot flat to the floor, or it accelerates slowly with no power. Once warmed up after about a mile or so, it suddenly drives ok and continues to drive ok when the engine is warm. I was on a dual carriage way yesterday when it did it and I had to put my hazzards on because cars were coming up behind me! Another thing that happened that is related...the day I bought the car last week I got home and parked up, then a few hours later went out to my car to sit in it and start it up and at first the revs were ok but when warming up the revs gradually drop and the revs dropped to just above 0, i.e it was struggling to tickover...i'd say about 200 revs and the interior light was flickering off and on and I thought the engine would cut out! I think both of the incidents are related - something to do with when the engine is cold as when it is warm it's fine. Any help, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Oh by the way, is it normal for my car's idle speed to be 500rpm when warmed up? Also, I forgot to say that no engine warning lights are displayed on the dash when I get the loss of power. Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have EXACTLY the same problem.

So Far - I've removed the anti-tamper box over the ECU which was chafing the wires and exposing the metal conductors.....

Changed the coil pack and plugs.

Next step is to get an OBD2 device to "talk" to the engine control unit, and find if there are any error codes which may help - however there are no warning lights on the dashboard - so I'm not confident.

Finally - not sure if this is a factor, there's a hissing sound from the engine when I blip the throttle, with the bonnet up.

Any ideas, greatly welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi grrclio,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know whether I'm lucky or not but the dealer where I bought the Clio from only sells Clio's so he has been swapping parts off other Clio's trying to fix mine! First he swapped a sensor that's on the front of the engine, just above the dip stick, and then about a week ago I took it back as it was still suffering with the problem and he swapped the whole throttle body assembly over incase it was that. After he swapped the throttle body it didn't suffer the problem for about a week and then on Monday morning, after all that rain, it suffered the cold running problem for a couple of miles. The funny thing is that normally after a mile or so, once it warms up (2 bars displayed on engine temp display) the problem goes away and it seems to drive normally, but on Monday I think it carried on for another mile doing the problem with the engine warm. After 2 miles I was on the motorway doing 75mph and it ran fine. I think next the dealer is going to change another sensor...I think its the one under the airbox on top of the engine. I might suggest getting a new coil pack and leads (think HT leads come with the coil pack?). Is chafing of the wires by the ECU box a common problem? There's no hissing noise with mine under the bonnet when I blip the throttle, although another problem I have is a really annoying squeak when I depress the throttle when changing gear!! When mine suffers with the cold running hesitation/loss of power, I also have no warning lights on the dash and the dealer said a mate of his plugged in the diagnostic machine and found no faults. I wish I hadn't bought this Clio now as it was only a year or so ago when I bought a Meganne that I had problems with it hesitating and said I would never buy another Renault!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i have a clio 1.2 r reg seems to have the same problems starts fine but when warming up looses power for a whlile then is fine, stays that way unless left for a few hours then same problem .We have changed the coolant temp sensor the map sensor the crank sensor the coil pack and leads the lambda sensor soldered all the wires in the white connector in box nrs wing . We have put 250ohms resistor in line(purple wire) from the temp sensor to try and fool it to leave the choke on longer untill warmer, this seemed to help only did it for a second or so but alas it has learnt and is back with a vengance. I will check the wires in the ecu and let you know if that helps. seems to be worst whe put through car wash or when raining Thanks df:confused::devil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.