Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there first time poster and i am completely dumbfounded, I recently bought a second hand 2006 clio extreme 1.2 16v, everything works fine other than the radio (update list radio).

Firstly when turning the radio on there is nothing that appears on the dashboard screen (only the time, which was on before turning on the radio) and nothing I do can prompt anything to show up on this screen reffering to the radio. To add to this there is an annoying bleeping noise that plays over the radio every 3-4 seconds, and after 2 minutes the radio turns off on its own (at this point still nothing comes up on the dashboard screen, NOT EVEN THE ENTER CODE instruction which I know is what is meant to come up at this point??).

I have tried lots of different things including switching the radio on and leaving for 30 mins (still not even enter code appears), holding down 2 and 5 whilst pressing turn on (after doing this radio stays on for 2 mins with the bleeping then goes off). I have tried entering my code in blind as well after the 2 and 5 turn off 2 mins of radio with bleeping. I have also tried removing the radio unit completely and putting it back in as well as disconnecting the battery of the car over night and still no resolution.

Additional info: Radio is playing though the front speakers but not the rear (I assume I am able to change this as soon as I can get the display to show up and get access to menu options).

Thanks in advance for any answers I am well and truly stuck.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,500 Posts
The beeping is the radio's way of telling you it's not coded..

How you get around it is another matter

I would be taking the radio out, and leaving it out for a week
Then put it back in
Wait for code to show, enter code, then some more info will show, now enter 0

You could find someone has had 10 attempts, and now radio is Locked

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ours2012 thanks a bunch for the response,
Have just (physically) uninstalled the radio from the car and beginning the week with it out of the car (although this seems like a kind of randomly long time?).

Will update you on the result.

If I then find it still doesn't let me enter a code, should I then assume it has been locked? And if so what steps do I take from here?

Thanks again spent ages searching forums for a resolution to this.

·
41,500 Posts
You would need another radio ..

You are waiting for the memory to discharge in the radio ( Eprom go flat )
This then gives a chance of the code being entered again..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,467 Posts
IIRC, the time needed to "reset" once the wrong code has been entered (I think three times) starts at 10 minutes and increases with each wrong attempt.....reset is keep radio on for X minutes.... which the 30 minutes often suggested for a couple of wrong entries over the limit. And you've tried.
I may be wrong but now you have the radio out, I would be tempted to put 12v on it and leave it powered for 24 hours, just to see if it would reset to allow code entry that way.
Are you sure you have the right code?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Ours2012 will update you in about a week.

Thanks for the response Dancingdad, I am pretty sure have the right code ready as I actually have the original quality certificate sticker thing stuck into the original services Renault booklet (although I am yet to get the opportunity to enter any code at this point and am assuming the radio has not been changed as previous owner said it had not). How exactly would I go about putting 12V across it? (will probably attempt this should Ours2012 method fail)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,140 Posts
a quick question, does the LCD panel show any other information at all? we might be looking at the wrong end of the equation here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Vapulabis thanks for the response,

LCD panel shows only the time;

I have even tried to get the code message to show (using hold 2 and 5 and turn power on) whilst the time is flashing (unset) and after I have set the time as well. (don't know if that makes any difference)

I am unsure whether or not temperature should also display? either way temperature is not displaying all I have is the time display which appears to be working.

·
8,140 Posts
thats what I was wondering, if the display was functioning, and it seems to be, so we are back with the stereo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi again everyone,

Got some bad news after having the radio out for a week same issue persists, and still nothing comes up on the display.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If not and the case is now I have to buy a new radio off someone, do i need their radio code to use their radio in my car? or do i use my radio code on their radio in my car?

Thanks again fellas.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,467 Posts
IF you buy a new radio, it must have a code with it and that is the one you use.
No code, don't buy it or you will be as now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks dancingdad thought as much.

Is it worth noting that although bleeping, the radio itself comes on and is used as normal (for 2 mins before switching off) and this includes the volume control, different sources etc on the actual radio device. BUT i have no controls on the steering column? As in the volume up/down/mute buttons on the steering column have no effect. Could it be that this is a disconnection and the cause of the bleeping?

·
8,140 Posts
you would only get the steering wheel column controls when the radio is allowed to work properly by the controlling ECU, until that point it would not be connected to the CANBUS properly/at all, therefore any external controls would not function, only the controls directly fitted to the head unit would function

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BAD NEWS

New radio has arrived and SAME ISSUE PERSISTS.
Must be something to do with the wiring of the car being faulty?

·
41,500 Posts
Everything else Electrical working on the car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everything else absolutely perfect (including windows, dashboard lights etc) only thing not working is there is no temperature (or radio display) on the central dash lcd display bit- the time only is displayed.

·
41,500 Posts
Pull your radio out, take some pictures of the wiring loom that plugs into the back, and post them on here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts