Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2006 Renault Grande Scenic Electrical Problems

Symptoms and time line:
First faults were failure of rear window to come down on RHS and intermittent and erratic operation of the parking brake. Parking brake warning messages appearing on dash display while driving.
2 weeks later, the car could not be stopped by the ignition button. Car had to be stalled to stop the engine. Headlights were on full high beam, wipers were running at max, engine radiator fan running at full speed and RHS brake lights on. Turning off any relevant switches would not stop the functions. Battery had to be disconnected to turn off the above. On battery re-connect, every thing seemed normal, car started and ran normally. (except for parking brake fault and erratic park brake operation with beeping). Five minutes later, same happened again. Stall the engine. Wipers, headlights, engine fan all at max. Park brake fault with beeping. Disconnect battery again, but this time on reconnect, no dash display and car would not start. Relay clicking under passenger dash could be softly heard when trying to start, but no action. All fuses were checked on battery and in glove compartment, but all ok. Car could be locked and opened with the key, dash time display flashing and radio waiting for code on display. Interior lights were working.

Diagnosis :
Engine bay fuse panel was disassembled and checked to be all ok. Engine ECU card behind battery was checked, dry, and in good order. EPU? card under glove box was also dry and in good order. Computer diagnosis reported "No Communication" between modules.

Forewarning Signs:
Dampness noted on passenger side floor carpet. Signs of drips coming from foot well under dash.........!

Repair:
Under the passenger seat is a major connection plug / socket arrangement in the main wiring loom of the car. Also here is another hidden fuse panel and relay. Check this area for moisture by removing the under seat glove compartment, and feeling the insulation in the area. If this shows any signs of dampness the seat has to be removed. In the "under seat area", the seat belt, carpet, plastic trim and airco ducts have to be removed to access the connector and fuse area. (see photos). In my case, the insulation here was totally soaked, and lots of water could be seen at the floor pan. The connector is poorly designed, being at the metal floor pan level, and then covered with felt insulation, entrapping water around the connector. The connector was severely corroded, and wires had broken away from there pins. A garage will charge you over ***8364;1000 to replace the wiring loom and connector! The alternative is this :
Clean up the connector with Methylated Spirits ( not White Spirit!) and a brush. Metho will absorb water and remove the "vertigres" and dry it out. Apply liberally. In my case, 9 wires had broken away from the socket. The process in involves locating where each wire in the socket was and cutting the wire on the good side of the socket, and connecting the wires externally from the socket (see photos). Pull each wire in the socket to make sure it is connected, as the decay of copper can be hidden by the insulation, leaving intermittent and failing connections. Use a connector block to make the new connections. Be warned that sometimes the colours do not match on either side of the plug socket arrangement. Do it by position in the plug. Do the colours that match first. Once each wire is done attempt to start the car to test. Once done and clean, apply a liberal amount of WD40 and Vaseline to the new connector block and existing plug/socket arrangement, and cable tie the connectors higher up off the floor, on a the metal strut.(see photos) This area will remain damp for a long time, and this prevents the fault from re occurring immediately. Remove and discard insulation around the area. Punch holes through the floor pan to allow water to drain away (see photos). Once done, check operation of all functions. Start the car. Reset the windows by holding the up button for 10 seconds on each window with the window at the top position. Reset the handbrake by manually applying/releasing the handbrake 5 times with the engine running. Check headlights, brake lights etc. Once happy, reassemble the whole seat area with the reverse of the disassembly.

Original cause:
The cause of this water and faults, is blocked drain pipes , either side, below the window in the engine bay. This is a common fault with modern cars in high humidity countries. The water is meant to be drained away from this area into the wheel arch area. In my case the water was over 20mm deep sloshing around in the whole panel. (see photos). See this link here to repair this issue : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVNStlZLqts
These should be maintained every 6 months in the Uk and Ireland evnviroments.
Happy Motoring...!:d

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good post. This R2 connector is definitely the scenics low point.

I did this connector on my 2006 scenic but removed the connector aaltogether and soldered and heatshrinked each wire.

If you are thinking of tackling this job yourself it is worth doing and just requires patients and time, but either using solder or connector block it will save you hundreds of pounds.

I have attached my layout drawing I did for the wiring and colour codes. Supply side wiring is common on scenics 2003 - 2009, but load side will be options and equipment dependent.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GrantRogers,
Thank you very much for the diagram. Like you said takes patience and time, but with your diagram i would be a lot more confident,
Thanks
Regards
Terry(highco)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Thank you very much for this post!!

My Scenic rear two windows have electrical problem on colod weather. They are being open by themselves even when the engine is off.

I wake up this morning and found my two rear windows open.

I also have parking brake massage even tough it works just fine.

Do you think the problem I'm having is the same as yours and the fix is the same?

Thanks!
Omri

·
Registered
9 Posts
My scenic is with left steering wheel.

Is the connection plug / socket arrangement under the passanger seat (as you described) ot under the driver seat?

Thanks!
Omri

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK...

Thank you very much!

The instructions are great. I had a similar problem and the fix was quite easy with the instructions.

A question about the handbreak reset...

I tried manually applying/releasing the handbrake 5 times with the engine running, but still got a message "check the handbreak".

The functionality of the handbreak is OK. The problem is with the warning message.

Am I missing something about the reset?

Can you be more specify how this should be done?

Thanks!
Omrigez

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Omni griez,
Could be the same fault as the windows in rear were going up/down by themselves originally as well. I would say the connector would be under drivers seat in your case. Take out the under seat glove compartment to find out

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys i chek the conector half of the load leads was rusted of , but the bigest problem is that load side colors is a bit different then in diagram? how to manage conect them corectly

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Google this "megane 2 r2 plug", then select images.
HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car Renault Scenic 2005 (fully serviced from the local garage,Berkshire ,UK)on Monday the 18/05/2015 caught a fire and exploded while standing on my driveway just 5-10 min after i parked the car,came out of it,' turned off the car and entered the house .
On the way to home , on turning the fan at no 4, a nasty smell from the dashboard started after few seconds . I quickly turned off the fan and pressed the hazard light and then drove the car slowly towards home( home is very close to this side)
Has anyone heard this type of incident of scenic 2005 in the past 10 years? It has damaged front side of my property and neighbor's. The quick arrival of fire services has saved from bigger loss.
I contacted the Renault customer services but they showed no interest in hearing the story. This incident happened at 10:34-11:00 and by 3:00 the car was taken away by the insurance company. Is there any way to have full investigation of the cause of current incident.? The insurance company will just assess the value of the car and then give the money to us. This is not what I want. I would like to have full investigation in order to assess the risk of the electrical system of grand scenic 2005 . This is the only way forward to save others in the future. I think Renault and local garages are the best sources to collect the data about fire incidents and complain related to electrical faults.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I think it unlikely that anyone will be interested in investigating this problem for you. Age, wear and tear could all have contributed to the problem and the car has limited monetary value, so not worth the time spent. In spite of regular servicing an electrical fault is just an unfortunate incident that can occur. Components have a finite lifespan and can fail at any time.

I am not aware of vast numbers of Scenics bursting into flames so probably just an isolated incident.

Be thankful that the fire was extinguished quickly and no-one was hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi and thank you for this. I'm determined to do this myself.
However, I've got as far as Image06 but I can't see how to remove the plastic tray/frame
I'd really appreciate a few pointers.

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi and thank you for this. I'm determined to do this myself.
However, I've got as far as Image06 but I can't see how to remove the plastic tray/frame
I'd really appreciate a few pointers.

Thanks, Rick
Ignore this as I've managed to remove the plastic tray.

However, after all that I cannot see any connectors. Only a raised bundle of wires leading from front to rear of car.

Grande Scenic 05.png

1 - 15 of 15 Posts