Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive an 06 Espace. The fronts are looking quite worn after only 12000 miles. Tread is practicaly gone from outside edge. Is this normal wear? I have TPM so no probs with pressures. Bulk of driving is leisurely town/commuting. Recommendations for replacement? Also, (and i know it's a different thread), but given the type of driving i do, should i be thinking of early oil change/service or is 18000 really ok?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
With town driving and power steering the outer edges (especialy the left-hand front) tend to wear more quickly and it will also depend on your driving style. One other possibility could be the tracking is out and shoild be checked ASAP. When it comes to servicing many of us on this forum are of the opinion the 18,000 service gap is much too long and personally I would change the engine oil and filter at least every 9,000 or each year which ever comes first.:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I drive an 06 Espace. The fronts are looking quite worn after only 12000 miles. Tread is practicaly gone from outside edge. Is this normal wear? I

Hi simc, 12-14K on Espace IV fronts ... your doing well, sounds about right .... maybe a bit more if you were all motorway or dual carrageway, I only got 14K on mine, and my Espace2 was even worse ... they maybe plastic/aluminium but they are very heavy cars.

As to the oil & filter... I'd change it every year, .... 18K is way toooooooo long in MHO, plus get them to drain the fuel filter if its a diesel. ... Just noticed it is!

Hope it helps:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Many thanks to both members. Car is now booked in for service next week. Will in future alternate oil change/ service every 9,000m.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Espace IV Tyre Wear

The front tyres do wear out at around 10k to 14K. Tyre fitting guys confirmed this was normal. Have found a really good premium brand tyre Kumho Ecsta Sport at only £90 per tyre as opposed to the £175 per tyre for the factory fitted continentals (which are very soft hence the shorter lifespan). Pays to check around with Black circles and even your local dealer as they will always try to undercut the internet competition. Be careful though as you need to ensure the extra load index tyres are fitted check the load index is 101 not 97 or the insurance / warranty will be invalidated.
I have however had to change my rear tyres at only 17k beacuse the outside edges had worn past 1mm though the centre and inside edges were 5 to 7mm. Tyre fitting centre were stumped but told me to speak to the dealer as this was not normal. One renault dealer told me to get the tracking looked at, not convinced I spoke to another who advised me that there is no easy rear alignment procedure, and that so long as the tyres lasted at least 9000 miles Renault would not be intersted in sorting it out via warranty. Not at all impressed with the dealers as the service is poor for a £30K car. I have now got into Renault UK who admit the problem is not nirmal and have advised me to take it into a dealer to get a four wheel alignment check undertaken. Possibly problems with the shocks and or suspension. I will let you know when she goes in. Has anyone had a similar issue and has anyone managed to get it resolved?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts