Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and recently bought (2 weeks ago) a nice 2006 Trafic SL27 1.9DCI 100 to add to my small fleet of vehicles. I've my own refrigeration and A/C business and have been using a Peugeot Partner for most of my work but it's just a bit too small now for some of the work which led me to the Trafic.

So, it's been going great until this morning when it suddenly stalled while driving as if I had taken the key out of it. No warning signs, no gradual power loss and no hesitations. Just stopped.

I tried to restart but no joy.

I primed the fuel by pumping the hand primer which went hard after a couple of pumps, still no joy.

I got it recovered and dropped back to base where I noticed fuel leaking around the filter housing when I was priming by hand. Fuel filter and seals replaced I primed the system again and the engine started! It died again after about 5 seconds though. Primed again, started but died as before.

Strangely I can keep the engine running if I keep gently pumping the hand primer bulb which leads me to think there's a fuel lift problem. I've read that some models do have an in-tank lift pump and some don't. Mine doesn't seem to have one, I got under the van to look at the sender unit which only has two small gauge wires going to it for the fuel level sensor, no other cables at all.

What I noticed when I removed the old fuel filter was firstly it was very dirty and secondly the seal at the centre of the filter hadn't been located correctly on the filter housing head. I assume that dirt may have bypassed the filter completely and has been sucked in to the high pressure pump which has done some damage.

Am I right in saying that the high pressure pump on this model has an integral "lift" pump built on to the back of it? If so, I believe that's where my problem lies.

Any help or experience shared about this same problem would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
The Fuel filters as you know have a plaggy housing. The incorrect assembly may have distorted it causing an air leak. Check also the pipes & primer bulb for cracks etc.
Lastly, look in the lid of the fuel filter for another smaller metal filter, remove & clean. That one is to catch the big bits before the paper filter.
IIRC the lift pump is driven off the cam. Super Sh1tty ones have been known to shear the drive.
BTW, this may all be B0770cks, as I've never had a 1.9 :frown2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I'll check the filter housing again for that metal filter to see if anything is stuck in it. Other than that I'm happy with the fuel lines and primer bulb. When I prime it until the bulb is solid, the system doesn't leak from anywhere. There's no air bubbles in the clear line down to the pump either so I'm sure there's no air getting in.

Very frustrating!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,961 Posts
Is the beasty still behaving the same with filter/primer/leaks sorted ?
That is will run if you keep pumping but cuts out when you stop ?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,703 Posts
Something is not holding pressure when its running ,,, does it sound as though its on 4 cylinders, with it being direct injection if one injector is stuck open , then fuel pressure can not be maintained , .
Is EML staying on, any chance of getting someone to tickle the accelerator while you listen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that's correct!

Runs ok if I keep pumping the primer gently but stops within a couple of seconds if I stop and will not restart until I pump the primer again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something is not holding pressure when its running ,,, does it sound as though its on 4 cylinders, with it being direct injection if one injector is stuck open , then fuel pressure can not be maintained , .
Is EML staying on, any chance of getting someone to tickle the accelerator while you listen
It sounds perfect on all cylinders when I'm manually keeping the engine running by pumping the primer. I'll see if I can get someone to try the accelerator with me tomorrow. There's no EML on. I have opcom which I used to check codes and initially had one for low pressure but nothing else. I cleared that and it hasn't come back, as yet.

·
37,703 Posts
Go into measuring blocks, have a look at injectors, flow is measured in - and +
the ones on + are the issue, these are the ones reading the highest ..
(Did you by any chance save the results,)
Its not so easy to catch when on your own, need to watch data on tick over , but because you car wont idle, you will have to read at 1500 rpm,...
Check cam and crank data, make sure one is not kicking out,

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,961 Posts
My thoughts are towards the HP pump, the one driven by the cam belt.
This pump is basically two sections.
LP section which sucks fuel from tank (can't suck air) and feeds this pressurised fuel to the HP side.
The HP side feeds the common rail and doesn't mess about, it can generate horrendous pressures.

On some pumps, no idea if yours is one of them, the LP pump is keyed to the pump drive. That key shears and no LP feed or suction = dead engine.
But it can be possible to keep it running by pumping the primer.

Recon pump or strip and repair if this is the case... expensive on a guess though.
Some reports of people with this issue fitting an inline electric pump to suck fuel from tank and feed it to main pump... and that it works.
Anecdotal to me, never tried it. Relatively cheap to try though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go into measuring blocks, have a look at injectors, flow is measured in - and +
the ones on + are the issue, these are the ones reading the highest ..
(Did you by any chance save the results,)
Its not so easy to catch when on your own, need to watch data on tick over , but because you car wont idle, you will have to read at 1500 rpm,...
Check cam and crank data, make sure one is not kicking out,
I'll check and record what I can tomorrow but it won't run at any RPM without manually pumping fuel to the HP pump so might be difficult!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thoughts are towards the HP pump, the one driven by the cam belt.
This pump is basically two sections.
LP section which sucks fuel from tank (can't suck air) and feeds this pressurised fuel to the HP side.
The HP side feeds the common rail and doesn't mess about, it can generate horrendous pressures.

On some pumps, no idea if yours is one of them, the LP pump is keyed to the pump drive. That key shears and no LP feed or suction = dead engine.
But it can be possible to keep it running by pumping the primer.

Recon pump or strip and repair if this is the case... expensive on a guess though.
Some reports of people with this issue fitting an inline electric pump to suck fuel from tank and feed it to main pump... and that it works.
Anecdotal to me, never tried it. Relatively cheap to try though.
Honestly this is exactly where my thoughts are too. I had thought about putting an electric pump inline to see what happens but I already know it will probably just do the same thing I can with the priming bulb.

I've seen second hand pumps for sale for about £40 and I can do the fitting myself as
I've all the tools and dry space to work. I do things like this quite often as a side line.

There's a cover on the back of my pump which looks a bit like a heatsink and is held on by four torx bolts, is that the LP section cover? I read on another post that someone had checked theirs easily but they didn't elaborate.

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
There's a cover on the back of my pump which looks a bit like a heatsink and is held on by four torx bolts, is that the LP section cover? I read on another post that someone had checked theirs easily but they didn't elaborate.
That's the bit I was referring to. Take it off, should just pull out. look for sheared drive.

·
37,703 Posts
For it to be that Bad would be going on Nottnocs thoughts, you have an issue on holding pressure to the fuel filter. . and this is not holding any fuel , only what you are sending to it. Will the primer go hard,
Your fuel filter, this is on the drivers side under the bonnet area, you have replaced the seal, or its not gone in the top correctly....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For it to be that Bad would be going on Nottnocs thoughts, you have an issue on holding pressure to the fuel filter. . and this is not holding any fuel , only what you are sending to it. Will the primer go hard,
Your fuel filter, this is on the drivers side under the bonnet area, you have replaced the seal, or its not gone in the top correctly....
The primer goes rock hard and when squeezed at that stage there's no fuel leaks any more. I changed the filter and seals right at the start because of fuel leaking badly when I primed the system hard. I didn't notice any leaks at normal operating conditions before this though. I think I forced the leaks.

The filter was dirty and the seal in the middle of the filter definitely wasn't seated properly.

The new filter is spot on, I've checked it a couple of times. I'm pretty much thinking the pump is not lifting fuel to itself any more but that remains to be ruled out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you get a photo of your pump ?
If so, someone may identify it and give better information.
I'll get a generic google photo but it's the same pump on a Laguna 1.9 and so on. Pressure regulator at the top, only pipe below that and the return pipe lower down again. One single rail output connection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the bit I was referring to. Take it off, should just pull out. look for sheared drive.
I'll do that first thing in the morning! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
So I need to remove the cover in the red circle by taking the bolts out circled green?
No, not before you've taken it off & checked the drive from the camshaft & that it Spins.
Suggest you follow Ours2012 advice first, he knows these better than I.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts