Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a Clio 2 litre 138 Dynamique S and the twin horns - which are mounted right under the Renault logo - have stopped working.with the MoT looming! The fuse is OK and with a direct live feed the horns wake the dead! I'm tempted to simply run new leads to an extra switch on the column somewhere, but thought I'd ask the question first to see if anyone had a better answer that didn't involve messing up the fairly decent interior. Many thanks.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Somebody from UK will confirm but I don't believe that extra switch for horn is allowed.

Testing the horn, you connected them to 12 Volts or to the ground?
If no 12 V that is the problem in supply which you can solve by new wire from battery through new fuse.
If no ground, that is usually the problem of a clock spring behind the steering wheel.

If horns are fed through electronic module, then above does not aplly.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, it turned out to be a sticky contact under the central steering wheel horn "button" - which isn't really a button more of a plate, i.e. the bit you press to operate the horn. (as said it goes through the clock spring)
It happened (I'm speculating)because the horn wasn't used from one year to the next.
I wasn't keen on dismantling and fortunately repeated sharp short (but not too violent) blows over various parts of the button freed it up and it started working. (I promise it wasn't like the fawlty towers clip with the branch!).
I thought it was likely to be a sticky button and so had nothing to lose, I was lucky I guess. Worth a try unless you're a regular bleeper in which case you'll need to dismantle (battery disconnected if you do as airbag)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Somebody from UK will confirm but I don't believe that extra switch for horn is allowed.
The horn can be operated by any button or switch the driver can reach, so it's not a fail to add another switch, but if you don't tell the garage first then they won't know and will fail it!

·
Registered
604 Posts
That always depends on local laws.
In US trucks used to have a horn connected to the strap hanging from the ceiling.
For other countries, it is best to ask first, before changing something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts