Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

Having an issue with my driver side brake lights on my 2007 reg clio mk3.

With head/tail lights OFF, my driver side brake light is visibly dimmer than the passenger and high level brake lights which are working fine.

With head/tale lights ON, the brake light does not come on at all and actually makes the tail light turn off when brakes are pressed.

I put a new bulb in 2 days ago as the old one had burned out, and also changed the brake light switch around 4 weeks ago as it was broken and all brake lights were stuck on (all the same brightness then)

Any help appreciated guys

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,007 Posts
Sounds like an earth problem at the cluster plug.
If the earth return path is damaged the electrickery will try to find any way home it can and usually at the expense of the other lights in the cluster.
Open the plug and check the earth pin for corrosion or signs of heat damage.
If one side is headed that way the other is not far behind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant really see inside the cluster plug, i will post pictures later. How do i know which cable is the earth? There like 6 or 7 wires going into the plastic cluster that plugs into the tail light assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the wires going to the part that plugs into the assembly are the same size, and the contacts look decently clean. I will take some pics later anyway.

If i did have to clean the earth attached from wire to chassis, is it a case of wire brush and wd40?

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,007 Posts
All the wires going to the part that plugs into the assembly are the same size, and the contacts look decently clean. I will take some pics later anyway.

If i did have to clean the earth attached from wire to chassis, is it a case of wire brush and wd40?

Worth a look at the earth. Should be somewhere nearby on that side of the boot or tailgate opening. On our Scenic the passenger side earth is for both cluster and hi level brake light. Sandpaper or flat file with contact cleaner is better but brush and WD is better than nothing. Sometimes the problem can be inside the cluster. You could swap them over to see if the problem moves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean swap the entire rear light clusters over so they are plugged into opposite sides and see it the problem persists?

Worth a look at the earth. Should be somewhere nearby on that side of the boot or tailgate opening. On our Scenic the passenger side earth is for both cluster and hi level brake light. Sandpaper or flat file with contact cleaner is better but brush and WD is better than nothing. Sometimes the problem can be inside the cluster. You could swap them over to see if the problem moves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.

Swapped the bulbs around and its now doing it on the opposite side, so even though the bulb is brand new its clearly not working properly

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,736 Posts
So its a problem with the Light cluster then..
Is that what you are telling us, or you have taken the bulb from one side to the other..
IF the bulb, compare the soldered joints on the base of your working bulb , to the base of the dodgy bulb..
File the sides of the solder on the dodgy bulb, so the centre gap is wider..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry i wasnt very clear

I swaoped only the bulbs around, and now the passenger side is dim and does not work with the headlights on, and the driver side works fine.

It looks like a dodgy bulb

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,736 Posts
Take it back, cause a stink. :|

NO only kidding, :wink2: if new take it back and get it changed, or buy another bulb :grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts