Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been told by the garage the condenser has a small leak (losing air con over a month+).

How easy would it be to DIY a replacement? I have been quoted £450 by the garage, car is not worth that!

If I DIY - do I strictly need to change the dryer as well?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
done a condenser dryer on my 08 mk.2 1.9dc (nissens brand eBay approx £35) and the aircon rad (approx £65) and it took about a hour from start to finish. take off the whole front bumper (its a plastic shell)

requires open bonnet remove the 4 or 5 black twist plugs and 2 or 3 black torque head screws - in each front wheel arch has 2x 7mm head bolts in wing lip to front near bumper - remove these

crouch on floor on bottom lip of bumper shell where it joins under tray 3x 10mm head bolts about a arms length in from number plate in parallel to bumper remove these

grab bumper where it joins wing and tug lift to unclip at the 45 degree join - lift bumper clear once you've undone fog light wires etc - i can do in 5 to 10 mins

then you will see condenser on driver side around washer bottle area 2x 10 mm bolts holding pipes and a rubber holder

ATS do a aircon recharge around £45 (last year) with a GROUPON voucher code (its always almost running this deal)

problem is these condesers hardly EVER leak as thick metal - a full set of renault aircon seals (you cant buy just the 2 you need) is £27 and two sets/types so its match up and see and or vin.

pipes also require a bit of a wiggle to remove as seals leak go hard and corrode pipe in

condenser should always be replaced if air-con open to the air as they draw in water from air - so on the new one dont remove the plastic red plug seals until the moment your are bolting it in.

a s/hand one there for is a worthless paper weight....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
1st pic is bumper off on my 2005 1.6 vvt (same aircon position on 1.9dci) you dont need to remove headlights - i was doing a engine swap - 2nd pic is with bumper bar and slam panel off (you dont need to remove slam panel but you remove the bumper bar if doing air con rad) but shows brilliantly where receiver / dryer bottle ( on left the silver bottle with pipes) and the air-con rad (condensor?) the silver rad infront of black water radiator - your normally replace both silver items (bottle and rad) as a pair. the air con rad can be wiggled out once all pipes and plastic shrouding is removed - it lifts up out of the plastic clips in radiator (water) and then drops down. and wiggles out but IIRC car need to be jacked up and on axel stands with wheels off ground about 12 inches or air con rad hits floor before you can wiggle it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts