Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys

I had to jump start my car today...not sure why but its starting now... however

I can't lock the bonnet. It closes and holds on the safety catch but does not lock down. Any one here able to point me in the direction of a clue? I can see the rubber safty thing but not a catch to hold it in properly.

Thanks
Everso

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Re: 2007 scenic ... can't lock bonnet

Hi

give it plenty of oil etc..

& have a chat with whoever has been doing your servicing, service schedule on all cars includes -
"lubricate all locks and hinges" this includes the bonnet and fuel flap mechanisms !

Al

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,958 Posts

Oil or WD to free it, certainly, but I'd then wipe it off and apply grease to the sliding surfaces, if you have some. It stays put better than oil. Even brake grease would do.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,736 Posts

Dont get tempted To use Coppaslip, YOU will not get it out of any clothes you get it on..

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts

No, the other one about a Cardigan, Copaslip and the Light Brigade.

·
Super Moderator
13,628 Posts

What the one where two jump leads walk into a bar, and bar man says I'll serve you but dont start anything, that one
Are you Positive? :laugh:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts

Don't be too surprised if WD-40 doesn't do the job. It's not really a lubricant. 3n1 or similar or a spray penetrating oil would be better and a few taps of a mallet might be needed to free it off and then grease for the long term.
There is always the possibility that the cable is sticking but less likely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: 2007 scenic ... can't lock bonnet - Solved... my heroes.

Don't be too surprised if WD-40 doesn't do the job. It's not really a lubricant.

[FONT=&quot]You know what ... I am sick of telling people that. They look at me like I'm mad.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That said [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WHOO!!!!!!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was left over night and this morning I gave it a prod from underneath and "SPROING!!!!" I now have a locking bonnet. I plan to remove the catch (it looks like simply undoing the two bolts and slipping it down) so I can give it a clean and grease up. There is a lot of crud on there and frankly I'm surprised it actually opened in the first place.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I don't know if anyone is keeping score but this one is another win for the good people of the forum! Thank you all for your help.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Everso[/FONT]

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,656 Posts

Renault are not the only make that suffers from sticky catches but did get a really bad rep for bonnets coming open at speed...all down to catches needing a clean and lube.
Glad you sorted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts