Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I really hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2008 Trafic with 170k on the clock, the owner before me fitted a new engine 25k ago, out of warranty now. I was driving last week and fuel was a little low, and the van stuttered as if it were running out of fuel then ran fine. I filled her up and she did it again, this time the engine and stop light flashed, then went out. I was close to home so gingerly drove back. The next day it did similar, it is fine at low revs, under 1500, then if you try and pull up a hill it starts to stutter and momentarily lose power, the same lights flash up. On a short test drive it seems to be getting worse. I took it to the local garage and they said there was smoke inside the cylinder head and did not really want to touch it as it would probably cost more than a new engine if they started stripping it down. It starts to stutter and lights flash at around 2000rpm.

I am handy with the tools if I know what to look for, searching the history is a mine field. What would you recommend as the next course of action of things to check.

Cheers folks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so the small local garage does not have a diagnostic reader???, Is there a cheapish one I can buy in the UK?. I pulled out the fuel filter and it all looks pretty good, no sign of contamination or crud in there. It was changed about 2 months back and still looks pretty new? It is a bit lumpy on tick over, revs fine upto 3000 when standing, on the road it runs slow upto about 2000 then anything above that, or under load results in a stutter, when there van seems to die for half a second then fire again! Disconnected the MAF and no change!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
It sounds like it needs a session on a Renault dealers computer, £80 + vat roughly. They'll give you more info than a generic reader.

To be honest at that mileage I'd think long and hard if injectors or fuel pump is mentioned.

EDIT

Forgot new engine 25k ago. Be interested who did swap and what info renault could give on replacement lump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, bit of an update. I finally got to see the man in the garage who looked at it initially. (I was away when it went in). His concerns were when running without a filler cap in, it does smoke from the engine a fair bit? He said it would indicate that the engine is not happy. From looking around it would seem that some vehicles do this, when revved the smoke lessens. I am not sure if this is normal?

I checked the fuel filter and when replacing cleaned everything up and bled the line and now it seems a little better, it still sounds a little rough and bucked a couple of times, but more around the 3000 mark which it would not get to at all about 2 days ago.

I have not cleaned the EGR valve yet, that is tomorrows task!

So is smoke coming from the inside of the engine without the top cap on a sign of impending doom?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, either the oil filer cap or the dipstick hole. When you open them up, a steady stream of smoke comes out when running, not black, more vaporous and pale. It is weird there has been a bit of an improvement when I played with the fuel lines, but the acceleration is still poor!

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi engine needs that filler cap on it runs with a sealed system those fumes are supposed to go into the turbo to be burnt off, don't think that's the problem though clean the egr first see what's in there lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Renault think it needs 4 new injectors, an are offering to meet 50% of the cost bringing the bill in at £1100? Not great but could be worse I guess!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts