Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 G-Scenic Dyn 7 DCI

Hi All, a few weeks ago I heard a "sloshing" noise from near the glovebox on the pax side as I went round a right hand corner.

After a visit to the forum I found the front scuttles' drain pipes blocked with leaves. Areas cleaned and drains unblocked. As advised I checked both front floor boxes - drivers had about 1/2", pax was nearly full of water. Both emptied and dried (long story).

Now the problems start:- Rear window drivers side came down and would not go back up - sort of sorted (thanks again forum) by removing drive shaft from motor, pulling window up, re-installing drive shaft to hold window up. Rear pax window worked fine.

A day later rear pax window wouldn't work (fuses checked - all OK). Then the heater motor started going from wherever it was set to full blast - then back to setting - then back to (you get the picture). Next was a warning about the hand brake, but it was working fine - then I couldn't manually engage or disengage it. It works fine with the engine on, releases as it should when moving off and engaging when the engine is shut off, just won't work manually.

I'm guessing these Gremlins are being cause by the water ingress from the scuttles. I was hoping things would dry off but obviously they haven't so, has anyone any advise on where to start looking for the problems?

Many thanks.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,490 Posts
yeah it sounds like you are having water related gremlins, when the scuttles get full they have a tendency to leak into the engine bay and fill your fusebox, if you can, I would remove the fusebox, being carefull when unplugging the multiplugs and put the whole thing in a bowl of rice( upside down so rice doesnt get stuck in the holes!) to try and draw all the moisture out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. I didn't think water from the scuttle could get that way. If I remember correctly, it's a b** to get at that fusebox, but I'll have a go once it stops raining (the curse of street maintenance)🔨🔨⛏

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No water ingress to the engine bay fusebox (there's a seal that runs across the top of the bulkhead that seperates the scuttle from the engine bay, held in place by the plastic cover that you have to remove to get access to remove the wiper arms.) Parking brake started working manually 'though still get warning on display. Removed the pax underseat box and found more wet sponge material , a fuse box with a relay and 5 fuses, and a connector that sort of plugged into the floor. Checked the fuses, all O.K. but there was damp on the cables going in - anyone any idea what that fusebox is for? Whilst under the seat I felt back and encountered soaking wet wadding (soundproofing?). Had to remove the rear pax floor box (fight and a half) to literally tear it out. I'm now pretty certain all moisture has been removed from the pax side floor. There's no more moisture coming in to the front pax floor box so I'm assuming the pax floor front is dry (ish). Heater motor still playing up and both rear windows don't work, but it looks like I'll have to wait to see if things dry out naturally.

·
8,490 Posts
yeah, thats the problem with water ingress, you will never know if it is the source of all your problems or not, until its all dried up, you have at least sorted out the root cause of the water ingress, so no more water coming in, you will, like you say, have to wait for the carpets and noise dampening material to dry out, then the electronics to dry out. Here is the info you wanted

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would check any earth points around where it has been getting wet, if water has been there for a while before you noticed it, it could have corroded any earth points there and a dodgy earth connection can cause all sorts of head scratching problems, good luck hope you get it sorted quickly

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,915 Posts
Got any water under passenger side carpet, have you checked

If you think about it, its all pointing to one plug .
This plug will power and switches( And earth ) the dash, and the rear of the car

Would be lifting the carpet passenger side here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input guys - I haven't found any earth connections in the water affected areas so far, just cable runs and the fuse box, but it's still a possibility. I cut the carpet and foam out of the pax footwell box to dry it out. This has allowed the foam under the carpet going forward from the box to the engine wall to drain into the box (it's been ongoing for 10 days or so). Pushing my hand forward as far as I can now between the carpet and foam I can't feel any dampness, but that's not to say there couldn't be a patch further in affecting something - lifting that bit of the carpet looks like a b***** as it appears to be trapped under sides and panels, but if things don't progress I guess it'l have to come up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if the scenic has the same wiring layout s the megane hatch back and estate (as i suspect it does) hidden under the foam on the door side there are 2 plugs in the passenger foot well, i would be checking both of those as i believe one plugs wiring runs around the car for the doors and one is for the boot and alarm, i could be wrong but i know the scenic was originally marketed as the megane scenic so would stand to reason that wiring lay out would be the same as no doubt they probably started out with the megane hatch back as a template, if it is the same then i would also check the wiring to the passenger seat, if as the hatch back the connector is on the floor then you probably will end up with terminals in this plug becoming corroded and loosing connection leading to SRS (safety restraint system) porblems which if you don't have the right scanning equipment will be great fun trying to find as the cheap scanners only talk o the engine ECU (engine control unit), the plug to the seat will be for the air bag and seat belt pretensioner, also any electric seat controls and heated seat element (if you have the last two added extras), if you are going to disconnect any thing on the SRS system you should disconnect the battery at least 10 minutes before (I generally give it at least half hour) and be very careful, an accidentally deployed air bag can cause serious injury not to mention a bigger repair bill than the car is likely worth. don't necessarily let that put you off as long as you let the system discharge and are careful the system is generally quite safe and easy to work with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Managed to lift pax carpet, not as bad as I thought. No damp on the foam underlay. There doesn't appear to be any wiring or "things" under the foam, so I reckon the water ingress has dried up. This now leaves me with a wonky heater blower. Looking at the fan symbol on the display, position 1 brings the blower on at what should be position 4's force. Position 5 is now position 8's force, there is no increase in force on 6, 7, and 8 positions, so I've lost 1, 2 and 3 force.
Still can't get the rear windows to work. There are 3 fuses marked as "windows" in the glove box fusebox, a 40 amp on the top row and 2 x 25 amps below it. The 2 x 25A's are the right and left front window motors, and the 40A is ???????? (not blown), I removed it and both front windows operated normally - I've no idea where the rear window fuse are - please don't say in the engine bay fusebox.o_O

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,915 Posts
So you have got at the Connector under the passenger side, and separated it, ( Taking lots of pictures before you touch it )

Any water.damp might have dried out, but as its a known fault would be really checking this.

·
8,490 Posts
this might help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vapulabis & ours2012 - thanks for the info and link, as the connector was raised slightly, I only checked it for dampness not for corroded wires (but they all seemed O.K.) I'll have to check it again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
just had a quick look at autodata and fuse 6 and 7 in the engine bay fuse box show as being the breakers for electric windows, ac etc (fuse 6) and electronic hand brake control module etc. (fuse 7), sorry looks like you may have to except the inevitable that your going to need to get into that fuse box to check for water damage (I feel for you i really do, the design for backing those fuse boards in is the dumbest idea i have come across in quite some time).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The dreaded R2 plug strikes again!. After looking at some videos, I thought I'd better have a look at the underside of the R2 plug under the pax seat (the top part looked O.K.), once I'd freed it the damage was apparent with 4 wires not connected and the underside of the plug green/blue with verdigris, and some wires just "hanging on" - so I guess it's "pax seat out" and grab the solder iron. Now to find out how to remove the seat ( there's no Haynes manual for the 2008 model, it stops at 2006), and does anyone have a wiring diagram for the R2 plug?.
BTW a good video of the problem is at

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update - 07/09/2020 R2 plug to blame - wires dropping out of the bottom part, cleaned them up, cut the top corrresponding ones, and joined them. Hand brake warning disappeared, and rear ns window works. Still have heater blower problem, looks like it's the resistor, new one on order. Rear drivers side window still doesn't work, motor removed, 12v applied to contacts and it spun up - looks like the temic regulater is duff, going to try a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts