Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, the 2009 Clio model's have a trip computer with a current 'range' of what's left in your tank.

On average, my fuel light will come on at around 45 miles left - I know this is fairly low, but I am currently working very close to home so I tend to do a fair few short trips.

My question, however, is in regards to the 'Range' calculator simply displaying '---' when the Range goes to below 40 miles.

Is it possible to get the computer to calculate the Range (I know it is an estimate) lower than 40 miles?

My friend has a Ford Focus with a range calculator that goes all the way down to 0 miles (he's an idiot for letting it get that low, but he has done on one occasion) - Is it possible to get the Clio's computer to calculate this low too? Or is this a limitation of the system?

In a normal situation, I don't let my car ever get low on fuel - but sometimes it is good to know that you are still 'OK' and still have time before you stop for good.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The mileage trip computer is at best a guestimate - it doesn't accurately measure the amount of fuel flow nor the amount (in litres) left in the tank. It just extrapulates from known data such as throttle settings, engine rpm, load, etc and what has occured previously. For instance if you were driving gently at a continous set speed on a motorway the computer will give a high miles to go reading whereas if you were stuck in trafiic it will drop considerably.

Fuel gauges are are exactly that. They only gauge the amount of fuel in the tank not measure it exactly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mileage trip computer is at best a guestimate - it doesn't accurately measure the amount of fuel flow nor the amount (in litres) left in the tank. It just extrapulates from known data such as throttle settings, engine rpm, load, etc and what has occured previously. For instance if you were driving gently at a continous set speed on a motorway the computer will give a high miles to go reading whereas if you were stuck in trafiic it will drop considerably.

Fuel gauges are are exactly that. They only gauge the amount of fuel in the tank not measure it exactly.
So I guess it's not possible to get it to gauge all the way down to 0 miles?

I suppose at the end of the day, once the petrol light comes on you get around 30 - 50 miles of petrol left anyway. Which isn't a bad indicator to go by, it just depends entirely on how you drive the car. I'll have to make do with that. :)

Thanks for the reply!

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I suppose at the end of the day, once the petrol light comes on you get around 30 - 50 miles of petrol left anyway.
I wouldn't even trust that the warning light will come.

I don't think my tanks ever been below 1/4 full :eek: Side's which the lower you allow your tank to go, I'd guess the better chance of sucking crud through the system that may have settled on the bottom of the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts