Independent Renault Forums banner

461 - 471 of 471 Posts

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
Re: 2009 Megane Coupé

Thanks for the responses guys! Sorry for slow response but work has again been full on leaving me very little time for myself and family

Think i will be ringing round dealers and other garages to see what price they come up with as im happy to pay £500 but nearly £800 is a bit steep....

On the spinside I am now into my 2nd day of my big French getaway that i do most years woohooo!!

From home to my Friends parents house on the south west coast of France I have clocked up 445 miles with indicated MPG on the car showing 42.1mpg with another 110 showing on range. Very much doubt the 110 showing lol as if i remember rightly the max i had out of the tank the last time i did the trip was 490 miles which to be frank on a 1.6 litre n/a engine with a 60 fuel tank is pretty damn impressive in my books lol

Got another two weeks out here so i reckon total trip will be around possible 1100 miles in total.

Megane hasn't put a foot wrong and long may that continue (fingers crossed lol) AA euro cover has been purchased just in case lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Well we arrived home from France on the 4th August. 6 hour journey took us about 8 in the end just because we gave ourselves more time than we needed and it also meant that we could just chill and relax at the service stations if we needed to :) on the way back home temperature gauge for the car was showing 35 degrees from 2pm until when we left until nearly 8pm and I did say to my other half we would take it easy going down the motorway as i didn't want to chance the car overheating, so we sat at a relaxed 65mph on cruise control for the majority of the trip. Given that there was me and my partner, a bootfull of wine/beer and food by the time we arrived home we managed a respectable 45mpg!! which is bloody brilliant! With me pootling backwards and forwards using the last of the fuel in the next weel going to work that came down to 41 mpg indicated on the car.

Didn't rack up hardly any mileage travelling around as family who live out there did most of the driving and if i'm honest it was nice as it meant that i could enjoy the beautiful weather.

Total mileage covered for the holiday was 953 miles.

Thoroughly enjoy driving in France, although was a little paranoid given that they have changed some of their speed limits and its seems a lot of French nationals are getting caught out by this (although they do seem to speed everywhere though lol) Family member has been caught out twice so far and been landed with 2x €90 fines lol

Car performed faultlessly as per usual, although now I really do need to show it some sympathy and get a service organised for it as its been a long time without a service. :)

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Well long time no update people! lol

The Megane is still going strong and performing daily duties as it should and hasn't put a foot wrong in the last 10 months which has been brilliant!

June this year has proved somewhat of a pain in the backside with the amount of rain that we had though...….
After putting off the doing the drainage holes for what seems like an eternity since I have had the car, when we had the torrential down pours I was greeted by this on both sides in the footwell compartments:

IMG_20190610_191521.jpg IMG_20190610_192228.jpg

Now before I had even looked at these compartments, the fan had started playing up massively, sometimes working, sometimes not...….with a sound accompanying it that sounded like that very thin paper you get in shoe boxes being held against it....more about that later in this saga...….

Now im not mechanically minded, I get the theory behind doing stuff with cars but implementing it is another thing, mainly due to the fact I require the car to get too and from work and if anything breaks etc, then im doing a rather long bus/train ride to work which is not want I want to be doing lol

So after using a lot of towels/a glass to at least try to get the majority of the water out of the car I decided I needed to tackle the scuttle panel and drainage holes which I was assuming was the source of my issue.

So I went about tackling the scuttle panel...…

IMG_20190616_094222.jpg

Upon taking the scuttle panel off I noticed that some one had broken majority of the clips and bodged them back with what looked like electrical tape/broken them...

IMG_20190616_095506.jpg IMG_20190616_112306.jpg IMG_20190616_112310.jpg

Now, last year I had a new windscreen put in by autoglass, clearly the guy could have just owned up as I know that plastic gets brittle with age but t would appear that he has bodged it back together and said nothing about it....sigh

As you can see from the video below, he hasn't done a great job of fixing the clips with his bodge as they are now stuck in the drainage holes and also one is in the back of the fan if you look closely enough!!

From these videos you can see how bad the drainage holes were, they were fully blocked up.....

IMG_20190616_101208.jpg

Removed the windscreen wiper arm out of the way as it was proving a little difficult to clean the drainage holes with it in place:

IMG_20190616_103849.jpg

IMG_20190616_103853.jpg

Cleaned all the broken parts of the scuttle panel and clips from the autoglass guys out of the drainage holes:

IMG_20190616_103859.jpg

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Cleaned through with hot water, fingers and screw driver on both side lol

IMG_20190616_105217.jpg

Now the issue with the fan.....remember I said it was cutting in and out and sound like it had thin paper on it when it was going?

My theory is that due to the water not being able to go anywhere it was coming through the hole for the fan after it had built up so much under the scuttle panel and it was a small amount of water hitting the fan as it was spinning. Also I could trace water coming through from behind the centre of the dashboard which is why im thinking its this. For the moment there has been no further leaks and the fan is working fantastically again with out cutting out lol

As I said I get the theory behind a lot of car mechanics but implementing them I find so much harder although I am glad I did as I have probably saved a fair whack by not taking it to the garage :D

All I needed was a couple of tools and a screwdriver and it was simple enough to do :)

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,564 Posts
Scuttle drains strike again !
You're right on the heater fan hitting water...that where it enters the body.... intermittent op may be water on electrics behind dash.

Snoop, put a tray of cat litter in the back and change it often...will help keep moisture down and remove more then you may believe.
Carpets will be wet through underneath.... worth newspaper on them and change often..as above.
Or a wet and dry vacuum.... hint, car valets have big industrial ones
Or get seats and carpets out on a hot day and dry them
And change pollen filter...that will be soaked as well.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Scuttle drains strike again !
You're right on the heater fan hitting water...that where it enters the body.... intermittent op may be water on electrics behind dash.

Snoop, put a tray of cat litter in the back and change it often...will help keep moisture down and remove more then you may believe.
Carpets will be wet through underneath.... worth newspaper on them and change often..as above.
Or a wet and dry vacuum.... hint, car valets have big industrial ones
Or get seats and carpets out on a hot day and dry them
And change pollen filter...that will be soaked as well.
Hey dancingdad, funnily enough whilst trying to firefight the rain that was pissing in through the car and trying to to empty out the footwells with towels, that's exactly what I have been doing lol

Two socks full of cat litter on either side in the footwell cubby holes and seems to be doing a good job of drawing out the moisture in the surrounding carpet/sounddeading material. Changing them every 5 days

Given how much water would initially of had to have been under the scuttle panel to come in onto the fan im surprised it didn't start to blow fuses and cause havoc with the rest of the cars electrics, let alone the windscreen wipers if they had stopped working.....

Cross fingers what I have done has cured the issue, as im quite OCD when I see leaves and crap on the scuttle panel and will always clean it off before I travel but I get the feeling that this has been building up since I bought the car 6 years ago.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Pollen filter change is next up on my list but im sure for that though the clutch pedal needs to be moved out the way? That may be a step to far for me but ill see if there is any YouTube videos on it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts

very nice

I so wish I still had my Meg, old as she was, not a thing wrong, no rust anywhere, only thing I needed was two front seats as the tilt handles had snapped due to the plastic going brittle (two 2nd hand seats were less than getting the dealership to fit new handles!!)

have fun with yours, if I ever have the means again, I'd :hug: a Meg 3 CC...I think I've got a long wait

karen xx
Take a look on ebay there's lots of them on there

·
Registered
11 Posts

Evening all :D

My thread seems to be just mean moaning about the car recently lol Its a lovely car and loving the drive of it but its just these niggley bits that are annoying me lol

Seem to have developed a loud-ish squeeking/screechy noise when the car is mostly moving around 15-20mph the sound is like when you get a stone trapped between the disc and pad but it only makes the noise mostly between 15-20mph. Above that theres nothing lol Some time the noise will happen when moving backwards or forward very slowly approx 1-5mph.....

Anyone got any clues as to what it might be? It defiantly sounds like a 'rotational' noise but that's as much as i can describe lol
Take a look at the belts they maybe slipping

·
Registered
11 Posts

It's hard to tell but judging from the photos I would suspect the discs are under their wear limit.

Plus you need to get the drive coupling boot replaced - if left unattended grease can leak onto to the brakes and ABS reluctor rings resulting in serous braking problems.

Copper grease should NOT be used anywhere near brakes - all brake manufacturers do NOT recommed it. There is special grase for the uprpose.
I had a car that juggered it was the brake pads

461 - 471 of 471 Posts