Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first thing to go majorly wrong with the car that i need help with lol

Went to start car turned over a couple of times and then went dead. Tried it a couple more times clicked very fast then stopped, display went off and came back on again.

Electric windows work and display is fine as is radio with out trying to turn engine over, so is central locking.

So........

Flat(ish) battery or knackered starter motor? Or something else?

Called AA out and then apparently arriving in next hour but wondered what you guys thought.

Oh and its more than likely original battery i would assume.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Check the battery with a volt meter, see if it is flat. Check all cables leading to and from the battery (and terminals) for excessive corrosion, as this can cause start failures.

If the AA can get the car going via a jump start, they'll check the charging system. If that checks out..... it'll be a case of replacing the battery (assuming the battery is failing to hold a suitable charge over a period of time). If not....and all other tests check out, and cabling seems good and true, I'd be a little more suspicious towards starter motor.

Other things like faulty sensors, slipping belt, immobiliser issues and various other things can cause starting problems, but given the age of the car, assuming it's original battery, it'll probably be the battery to blame.

While you have the AA there, you might as well ask them to check for parasitic draw, just in case you've got an active circuit that's drawing too much power when the car is turned off, as this can give you a flat battery the next day.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,666 Posts
Dont forget to make sure both battery terminals/connectors are secure

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info :)

No way to check battery as don't have a volt meter.....really should start to invest in things like this i think given the age of the car now.

Im hoping that it is the battery as will be a cheapish fix as if im honest the car has been running absolutely fine and its its the only time it hasn't started. But as i said the displays are all coming up fine which is wierd....

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,666 Posts
Just lift the bonnet lid, and make sure your terminals on the battery are secure, while you wait

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Thanks for the info :)

No way to check battery as don't have a volt meter.....really should start to invest in things like this i think given the age of the car now.

Im hoping that it is the battery as will be a cheapish fix as if im honest the car has been running absolutely fine and its its the only time it hasn't started. But as i said the displays are all coming up fine which is wierd....

The battery may have just enough charge to turn on the display. For now, just give the cabling and terminals a quick once over for damage/corrosion/loose connections.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep battery was knackered....and it was the original one so done 9 year which is pretty good lol

Battery was £110 from the AA which maybe expensive but i don't have the tools to undo all the braces that held in the battery.

Still problem solved and i dont have to get the bus and train to work tommorow

Thanks for all the helps guys :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts