Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any idea why my car is jittering in 1st gear. When idle its absolutely fine. Gears 3-4-5-6 all smooth, faultless. However 1st gear when I pull away no matter how much gas I use or don't use it jitters. Without been dramatic it feels like the engine will rip out on some cases. I'm not sure if it's a engine mount, dogbone change needed. A clutch kit needed. Or coil pack, etc. It only just started today. Much appreciated any help.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,704 Posts
Depends what you mean by a jitter?
TBH I would not know how to describe each but you have said the three things that come to mind.
Misfire tends more towards lost of power and should be noticable by listening under the bonnet.
Engine mount can be checked by having someone rev and let the clutch to biting point while you look under bonnet.... from the side and with handbrake hard on and nothing in front.
Clutch tends to be what I would call kangeroooing.... difficult to find bite point without it snatching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends what you mean by a jitter?
TBH I would not know how to describe each but you have said the three things that come to mind.
Misfire tends more towards lost of power and should be noticable by listening under the bonnet.
Engine mount can be checked by having someone rev and let the clutch to biting point while you look under bonnet.... from the side and with handbrake hard on and nothing in front.
Clutch tends to be what I would call kangeroooing.... difficult to find bite point without it snatching.
Hi, thanks for the reply it's not the clutch I don't think. It's definitely not hoping. It's as soon as I pull away in 1st it like bangs sounds like metal shaking and then it's absolutely fine. There's a slight clicking sound coming from under the bonnet when idling but I'm unsure if that's always been there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I can hear a ticking sound when idle, it didn't do the jitter hop this morning when I first took it out. However shortly after it started doing it again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Check engine mounts for play

·
Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
4,970 Posts
What is the use and service history of this vehicle?
Judging by that picture I would say this is a good candidate to have experienced " mechanical and performance mods" - any you know of? - in particular, a modification involving the clutch?
Ticking sound when idling? .............. subjective description, but possibly funky dual-mass flywheel?
Take a good quality video while moving around the engine bay and under/around the engine and host it somewhere - post a link

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would be inclined to say clutch or flywheel issue where job may have not been with correct tool for dual mass flywheel. Engine mount are easier to check before removing gearbox most local garages will be able to check easily.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Other than the tool that checks for excess free play in dual mass flywheel spring, I can't think what other tool you'd be talking about? I have a self adjusting clutch setting tool but I find you can set a SAC clutch without the use of this tool with experience in fitting self adjusting clutches.

A lower rear mount (also commonly referred to as dog bone mount) that has failed will show as gear stick kicking forwards and backwards under acceleration. This is due to engine moving forward and backwards and that travel being picked up on gear linkages. Failed engine or gearbox mounts will bang as engine is under load. A real bad engine mount will be felt by rocking the engine by hand and detecting excess movement. Gearbox mount you'll likely have to remove battery, battery tray and few other components to get to top of gearbox for inspection.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Is it OK in 2nd gear? What about reverse?
If you drive along in 2nd very slowly and change down to first what happens?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the use and service history of this vehicle?
Judging by that picture I would say this is a good candidate to have experienced " mechanical and performance mods" - any you know of? - in particular, a modification involving the clutch?
Ticking sound when idling? .............. subjective description, but possibly funky dual-mass flywheel?
Take a good quality video while moving around the engine bay and under/around the engine and host it somewhere - post a link
Service history I believe to be very good. The guy I bought it off looked after it well. Its not had any mods as such just a few style changes and a k n m induction kit. Straight piped too. The ticking sound is a very slight tick as I'd you were tapping a pen on a wooden surface very fast but quitley. It started to smell of clutch a little bit the other day. So maybe that's the issue but I'm unsure. Same story for 1st gear judder. Would that be caused by a CV joint? I know my offside one needs replacing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does not sound like CV joint, needs in person diagnosing by someone competent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hard to say, but it really does sound, as others have said, as a possible faulty DMF. Do you get the sound and jitter when driving in 1st gear or when taking off with the clutch? Either way it sound as DMF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts