Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’m new to this site so hope I’m posting in the right place.

I’ve been offered a 1.2 Clio Extreme. It’s 2010, but with only 15k on it. However, I’ve just looked up the MOT online and in the advisories it says brake lines covered in sealant. Is someone trying to hide a rust issue? The complaint isn’t on previous MOTs. Are Clio’s known for rust issues? Would sealant applied from new cover the brake pipes?
cheers
ethan

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,841 Posts
Front subframe/cross beam under the radiator are places to look out for on the Clio.

Brake lines?
If someone has only covered the lines in sealant I would suspect that they had found surface rust, hopefully treated it and then giving it a coat of sealant.
If the whole underside has been sealed, brake pipes likely just got a coating.
IT's one of thise where you pays your money and takes your choice....of an age where surface corrosion may be starting but would not be overly worried on them.

That age and only 15K.....which says either someone has been fiddling with the mileage or it is the one little old lady owner.
If the latter, have a good look at fluids and for any sign of corrosion, places like boot floor and inner cills. And any damp carpets.
Cars that don't do many miles often suffer more then higher mileage, condensation builds up, services are skipped and the like.
Coolant and brake fluid should be bright and clear, not brown and murky, oil should feel clean if not look it, no feel of grittyness. Slippy not sticky

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,180 Posts
depending what pipes, most garages will charge a hour and a half per pipe plus the cost of the pipe ,
should you buy the car, get underneath with a scrapper, and just scrape parts of the pipework, where they are bent , dont worry about the straight parts,, unless they are bulging out of the clips that hold the brake pipes in place, its bends, and areas where the clips are that suffer , these tend to hold the water ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts