Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I bought my latest van at auction and have been working it hard for two years, mileage is 166 thou or so, and I attend to maintenance regularly. The box has been whining a bit in fifth and sixth until recently. I have hauled a few big loads and then I bought a mini digger in Lincolnshire and hauled it overnight to Pays de la Loire in France. Now I need to turn the radio up loud or the gearbox noise is highly irritating. :crying2:

I have heard a similar noise in a pickup truck I used to own and in that case it was a basket bearing on the end of the input shaft. I suspect a bearing but I am not sure as i can not afford to have the van off the road I have not pulled the box to strip it.
Have you had the same thing in your traffic? I noted the noise is in 6th and 5th only, so it is a localised problem.
taking it to a garage occurred to me, and after £700 and a few hours problem solved with an exchange swap box. :smile2:
I am open to suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts
Not had the problem myself.
It's not the gears. It is the Gearbox bearings which fail.
Oil MUST be changed every 30K Miles or less if hauling the heavy stuff you do.
I'm still AFAIK on the original, but many do have trouble.
Depends upon previous servicing, or indeed the lack of same. :frown2:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,087 Posts
You never know with a noisy bearing, they can whine for ever or fail tomorrow.
But with your use and loading, I'd plan on tomorrow and act accordingly.
An exchange box is probably favourite, from a good source.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
The bearings on the pk6 box are a common source of problems. My friend's Laguna started having noises in a couple of gears. I took the gearbox apart and two of the bearings were showing signs of wear. Once the box is out it opens up very easily. There are 3 bearings at each end of the casing. The ones at the front end are slightly smaller than the ones at the back. A set of 3 bearings cost me about £60 from a gearbox bearing company, and were very straightforward to change. Whatever you do don't do nothing, the box WILL fail sooner rather than later and then it'll be scrap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts