Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does anybody know if a 2011 Megane Gt Line with sat nav would require a radio code? I need to replace the battery and want to make sure I can get the code if required. Can't find anything online except those dodgy radio code sites.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Clio Mk IV 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013
1,458 Posts
I can’t really help you except that my 2013 Clio has its radio code printed on the last page of the Renault Handbook.

Reactions: ours2012

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Or
If you're really stuck and exceptionally careful you can keep the car alive while the battery is changed. (2 metres of 2 core flex and small croc clips to the original battery while you connect the new one).

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
You can get what I believe is called 'memory retainer'. It is a kind of dummy plug that with a battery that connects to the OBD diagnostic ports. You can get them from fleabay. I have seen one used when my work van's battery died without warning. The AA man used one of these when he swapped out the battery.

Reactions: Phil48 and wozz

·
Registered
576 Posts
That is good piece of hardware.
12V directly on the wires in the back of the radio also works. Easier then messing around with battery.

·
Super mod..
28,320 Posts
Same here - when I needed a replacement battery a few days ago, the AA guy had a code retainer gizmo, which plugged into the diagnostic socket.
I have one in my wardrobe.. when you have a number of cars in a family its a handy thing to have.. of course the problem is we have to keep a spare battery for such an occasion and that might not be practical.. so now while we are on the subject of using a memory saver devise. I am wondering what's the lowest AH battery we could get away with as a donor battery ..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Clamp together 8 AAA batteries to get 12V and that can hold the memory long enough to change main battery.

·
Super mod..
28,320 Posts
Clamp together 8 AAA batteries to get 12V and that can hold the memory long enough to change main battery.
I think I would rather find 1 battery I can clip the crocodile clips on.. changing a battery on my car is a major faff and not a 5 minute job.. as it would be my first swap out of an AGM battery on these cars I dont want to make a major c0ck up in the process and would like plenty of time swapping it out.. thankfully I dont need to do it at the moment and I am driving my car at least twice a week around 20 to 30 mile to maintain it but just think of those that dont ..doesnt bare thinking about does it.. :unsure:

·
Registered
576 Posts
That was just a statement, that 8 AAA battery pack can hold radio memory.
Of course it would be clumsy to have them firmly connected together as any other 12V source is better.

Long time ago I was trying to figure out how can I change battery without loosing code by using only 1 set of jumper cables, old and new battery. Gave up after 10 minutes and I used battery charger instead.
Clamped it to the poles, old out, new in, done.

·
Super mod..
28,320 Posts
That was just a statement, that 8 AAA battery pack can hold radio memory.
Of course it would be clumsy to have them firmly connected together as any other 12V source is better.

Long time ago I was trying to figure out how can I change battery without loosing code by using only 1 set of jumper cables, old and new battery. Gave up after 10 minutes and I used battery charger instead.
Clamped it to the poles, old out, new in, done.
Thought of battery charger but then again for 2 reasons I ruled it out.. possible damage to electrical system and ECU and its been covered on the kia forum I am on and told to do it at your own risk because of possible damage to the ISG system .. negative sensor cable for this car is hundreds of pounds to buy.. so wont be going there.. one poster did it had a sensor go down and changed the cable.. but still could not delete the code for that when a light popped up.. even a dealer failed to turn this light off.. the car now has a permanent light on the dash with no solution on how to delete it.. latest post is he has part ex the car with an MOT just around the corner..:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I have just completed a little project. As Phil says it’s a bit of a faff getting the battery out to replace or recharge it. Some of you may remember me asking question upon question about me wanting to swap my original 8 year old AGM battery for a new one. I was concerned as depending what you read, you may have to have the BCM reset and other things. During the learning process I found that modern battery chargers can be used directly on the battery whist it is still connected to the car, with the caveat that you connect the charger between the +ve battery terminal and the -ve of the charger to chassis NOT the -ve battery pole.
I did some research an bought a Ctek MSX 5.0. it’s quite expensive but you can get extension kits etc.

Today I have wired the charger directly to the battery then using the official Ctek extension lead, threaded it from under the bonnet, through the cabin hidden safely behind trim panels and into the boot where I have secured the MXS 5.0 charger.

It means that I can start to charge the battery in a matter of minutes. I reverse onto my driveway and the boot is adjacent to an external mains socket. Just open the boot, take the mains lead out and plug it into the weather proof external socket.

Reactions: Phil48

·
Super mod..
28,320 Posts
Nice crazy paving Gromit.. 😉

When batteries are on charge they need ventilation.. do you lift the bonnet to disperse any gasses that are given off..

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I does look good when it’s been pressure washed. I have to clean it every couple of years as it being sandstone, absorbs moisture and goes slippery quite quickly.
I have not long since cleaned it.

·
Super mod..
28,320 Posts
I does look good when it’s been pressure washed. I have to clean it every couple of years as it being sandstone, absorbs moisture and goes slippery quite quickly.
I have not long since cleaned it.
But what about the bonnet lifting.. are you a lifter or not.. 😉

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thought of battery charger but then again for 2 reasons I ruled it out.. possible damage to electrical system and ECU
I am not going to claim that I am absolutely right and that Kia owner is wrong.
But something is wrong there.

If explanation is familiar to you, look away and don't read. I don't want an argument as these are facts.
Voltage is almost similar to water. If you want to charge 12,6 Volts battery, your source has to be higher then that, about 13 or more. If you want to charge 48 Volts battery, your charger must be at least 50 Volts.
Just like water. If you want to move water from one container to another, full one must be on a higher altitude (Voltage). As long there is difference in hight and quantity and there is a connection between them, water or current will flow.
Charger of 12 Volts on it's clamps will charge nothing, as current will flow from battery to the charger until equal voltages would be achieved.

Battery in the car is 12,6 Volts, generator produces around 14 Volts, supplying all consumers and charging the battery if needed. So when the engine is running, ISG system in Kia is seeing 14 Volts, just like it would if you connect battery charger. And even better as battery voltage is stabil, unlike voltage from generator which fluctuates a bit.
So, 14 V from charger or 14 V from car generator must not make any difference for ISG, ECU or anything else. These components loose voltage when you turn engine off so reconnecting them after battery change is irrelevant.
My guess is that Kia owner did something wrong but I'm not going to bet on that. Who knows what kind of Gizmo Kia installed?

I have just completed a little project.
CTEK makes good chargers.
Why do you need a charger permamently connected to your battery?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
When batteries are on charge they need ventilation.. do you lift the bonnet to disperse any gasses that are given off..
The battery is appears to be completely sealed, I could not see any vent holes at all. However, there is still plenty of ventilation without lifting the bonnet.

Having said that, I am surprised that I haven’t warn the bonnet hinges out. I am always checking this and that.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
…CTEK makes good chargers.
Why do you need a charger permamently connected to your battery?
If you look at the first photograph, you will see that the wires bolted to the battery, run down the side to a plug and socket. I unplug here until I need a top-up. It saves getting the crocodile clips out and there bulk make it awkward to close and secure the bonnet. As an aside, the connector has a traffic light type warning system. Red, battery needs charging, Amber, battery OK, and Green fully charged. These are pretty useless really, but come with the lead so fitted it.

The car is not used every day, I do give it a blast down the motorway every week though.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Sorry to the OP, I seem to have hijacked this thread. One thing leads to another, and another…

·
Super mod..
28,320 Posts
Sorry to the OP, I seem to have hijacked this thread. One thing leads to another, and another…
All info is good..people will appreciate it in the future..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts