Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Koleos Privilege 2.5lt petrol 4x4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I stupidly drained all the CVT fluid instead of the engin oil from my 2012 Koleos 2.5lt petrol. Dumb move I know (never trust me to service your car). The drained CVT fluid is now tainted (I had debris in it from the oil collection pan) so I will need to refill with new fluid. While I am at it, are there any filters I might as well change in the CVT transmission or is there no filters in it? Do I simply refill with fresh CVT fluid? I emptied out about 10lt of fluid. Yep, expensive mistake because this is going to be a dry-fill!
Any advice would be very much appreciate.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I believe that there may be an internal filter. But, would mean partial strip of the box. At least sump removal and refit to get to it. Can't seem to locate a part number.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, I have looked high and low for a replacement filter and can’t find that part. Looks like a drain and refill should be all it needs from what I can tell.

·
Registered
R12 1973, Koleos H45 2.5 4WD
16 Posts
10 litres of gearbox fluid is an awful lot, are you sure it's not 10 pints?
When you drain the gearbox oil you usually have quite a bit still in the torque converter so you probably get just over half.
CVT fluid isn't cheap, you don't want to be buying any more than you have to and definitely don't overfill the gearbox.
Strangely, the workshop manual does cover the procedure for refilling the gearbox and checking the level and even gives the Renault part number for the oil, but doesn't say how much fluid is in the box.
Not sure it makes any difference but is your box 2WD or 4WD?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read that it is 9.5lt dry fill and I would say about that amount came out. It almost filled an entire 13lt drain pan. The fluid comes in 4lt bottles so I will return any unused bottles.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,789 Posts
Don't suppose you thought to measure how much came out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that it is 9.5lt dry fill and I would say about that amount came out. It almost filled an entire 13lt drain pan. The fluid comes in 4lt bottles so I will return any unused bottles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, did not accurately measure because I didn’t know it was cvt fluid I was draining remember? A rough guess was about 10lt judging by how full the drain pan was and according to info out on the web, dry-fill is 9.5lt. Good news though, I filled 8lt of fresh cvt fluid and after a bunch of driving and gear changes and dip stick checking it looks like I got it right. Gear changes are still super smooth and it has actually made a certain whining I used to hear to stop happening. Seems as though the cvt fluid that was originally in there had already broken down a little. I am happy to say that after all the trouble it has actually made a pleasant improvement. It does not appear this cvt has a filter to replace either. Hope this info helps someone out there.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Glad you're sorted and thanks for the update.

Reactions: tricky4000
1 - 9 of 9 Posts