Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First time posting, looks like a great forum!

Our trusty Clio IV dCI that we鈥檝e had 0 problems with so far suddenly flashes red lights across the board and says that brakes and power steering are faulty overnight. It looks and seems kind of excessive to be honest 馃槃

From what I gather from some other posts, it sounds like a dead/faulty battery, but would love some input from you guys before I start getting in touch with local mechanics, as I know next to nothing about cars and can easily get ripped off if I don鈥檛 do some research beforehand 馃槄

Thanks!

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
Sounds like it may be low battery...check that first.
Battery voltage gets low, sensors do not see the input voltage so give false readings, bingo, dash full of warning lights.

Given age of car, if original battery and it is showing signs of not holding charge, time for a new one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Didn鈥檛 crank, just hummed (electrical sounding) and beeped and flashed.

Borrowed some jumper cables from a neighbor and used another neighbor鈥檚 car to try to jumpstart the battery, but it didn鈥檛 succeed. I then called to have the car picked up and go to the garabe, but the guy who was sent to fetch it tried jumpstarting the car again, and this time - it worked! The car has been driving and starting reliably for a couple of days since.

He explained that the cables I had borrowed were too thin/too poor quality, and I would therefore have had to wait for about 30 mins while connected to my neighbor鈥檚 car before trying to start my own. I followed instructions from Google/Youtube that said to wait 2-5 minutes, which was not enough. And, granted, the cables he brought along was much thicker, and it makes sense to me.

Hope it helps someone somewhere in the future :) And thanks for the input

Premium Member
I've had some of that. Jump starting a BMW 320 the cables went limp and draped over the wing, they were so hot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts