Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone had any idea of what could be wrong with my friends Twingo?

As the title states, the car is running very rough and cuts out. A mobile mechanic looked at it and said it needed 3 new plugs and coils and it should be fine. After buying and paying for him to fit these parts it's actually worse.

Today I refitted the old parts (what an easy engine to do this job on!) and tried them in combo with the new parts but to no avail. It's actually better with the old plugs in for some reason but still cuts out unless you give it constant gas so I guess it's like it was before which is still bad.

The ECU was throwing up P0011 P, P0011 and P0313 using my basic code reader but they stayed out since they were erased although the EML remains on so I probably can't read the code with my reader plus the car hasn't been driven far.

The mechanic is coming back tomorrow with a better code reader, if anyone has pointers or ideas for me to relay to him, that would be a big help!

Regards

Lee

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,704 Posts
Both those codes relate to VVT (variable valve timing), suspicion is that the solenoid is open circuit. (P0013)
That they have cleared suggests historic but take it on a run and give it some revs to get the VVT working (3-4K rpm) and see if they come back.
If the timing is stuck in wrong position it could certainly give a low rev misfire.
A better diagnostic, hopefully with a reader that talks Renault, should give better information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update:

The mechanic came today with a better code reader and was able to read the code.

It's: DF363 Camshaft Offset Camshaft Phaser Position Error.

The part isnt expensive so I we're going to change that. Does anyone have any idea of the procedure?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,704 Posts
I suspect your mechanic is thinking of the dephaser solenoid.... not an expensive fix and IMO likely cause

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having trouble locating a dephaser solenoid for the Twingo 3 apart from the RS version.

My mechanic removed the solenoid from my car, I have the part number: 237962295R, still I can't find any actual links to buy it in the UK although some links to used ones aboard come up. Does this mean it'll have to come from Renault?

Also, I tried cleaning the solenoid with WD40 then drying it out. I refitted to the car but no difference. So I tried unplugging the wire but it was still the same as before. This doesn't rule it out as the culprit or does it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Camshaft shifter solenoids are a common problem on these engines, they can clog up and not function correctly and some can corrode externally and seize in the head, be careful removing it.
It's number 8 in this picture but remember, the engine in the Twingo is tilted rearwards, with the boot floor removed it's on the drivers side, easy to get to but fiddly to remove.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that. My mech had already removed it. I tried cleaning it with WD40 then drying out, it was spotless afterwards but still gave the same symptoms when refitted.

The car has only done 36k so I thought it would be just gunked up but it's not made any difference. I unplugged it and tested the car but the same issue.

I suspect it might be something else but a tech from Renault who my mech knows and you guys, plus the posts I can find, all the say it's this part so I will call Renault now and see how much they charge for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts