Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,, I bought my 2017 brand new in 2018. Its done only 1900miles total! I converted it to a camper. I only use it for hols... No use for six months apart from letting engine run now and then to keep battery up. I just noticed that the menu screen is dead, buttons on wiper stalk do nowt. . The other dash warning lights come on with ignition as normal. The service spanner light is on, im about to change oil but of course need the menu screen to reset service light,, ,has anyone had this happen??????? Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi ,, I bought my 2017 brand new in 2018. Its done only 1900miles total! I converted it to a camper. I only use it for hols... No use for six months apart from letting engine run now and then to keep battery up. I just noticed that the menu screen is dead, buttons on wiper stalk do nowt. . The other dash warning lights come on with ignition as normal. The service spanner light is on, im about to change oil but of course need the menu screen to reset service light,, ,has anyone had this happen??????? Thanks.
Just realised that also the speedo is on that screen, so is not working too

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,593 Posts
I would take the battery off and give a good 24 hour charge away from the vehicle, random electrical faults on a Renault, most of the time, can be put down to a flat / knackered battery

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would take the battery off and give a good 24 hour charge away from the vehicle, random electrical faults on a Renault, most of the time, can be put down to a flat / knackered battery
I will try that but dont think it is that,, That was the first thing I put my multimeter on, 13.2v.. plus it always starts in a millisecond ....Thanks. will let you know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try that but dont think it is that,, That was the first thing I put my multimeter on, 13.2v.. plus it always starts in a millisecond ....Thanks. will let you know.
It would still be in warranty period, but, as it only done 1900 miles I missed the service schedule,,,,,typical, pahhhh

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,398 Posts
Not sure how warrantee would play out with a conversion but I would still ask.
My immediate suspicion is a fuse but which one is a differing matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did take it for a long run today, thinking it may snap it into action, but alas, no go... I guess Im gonna just have to ignore the spanner light and lack of speedo.... it does drive perfectly... Only thing that bugs me is, one day I may want to sell it, and trying to convince a punter thats its done a few Ks will not be easy.

·
8,593 Posts
unfortunatley as well, if the service light is on I am pretty sure its an MOT fail, if eveything else is working and a long run did not sort any power issues out then it does in fact lend itself to a blown fuse. here is an online diagram and explanation of your fusebox

as the diagnostic socket worked for your mate then fuse 9, the one for the radio would seem to be working, I would have a look at Fuse 18 as your speedo is on that panel, therefore it may be called the instrument panel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
btw,,, I did mail renault with that question,,, ,, it will only affect the warranty on body corroision in areas where I cut it,,, roofhatch, 240v ac inlet etc...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unfortunatley as well, if the service light is on I am pretty sure its an MOT fail, if eveything else is working and a long run did not sort any power issues out then it does in fact lend itself to a blown fuse. here is an online diagram and explanation of your fusebox

as the diagnostic socket worked for your mate then fuse 9, the one for the radio would seem to be working, I would have a look at Fuse 18 as your speedo is on that panel, therefore it may be called the instrument panel
would not that fuse take out all the panel warning lights too?? ie spanner, eco light, etc etc, those all work. Also,, the menu panel in question does change overall in shade, it lightens slightly as I turn ign on, then darkens when I shut down, so there is some current there I think

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would not that fuse take out all the panel warning lights too?? ie spanner, eco light, etc etc, those all work. Also,, the menu panel in question does change overall in shade, it lightens slightly as I turn ign on, then darkens when I shut down, so there is some current there I think
Remarkably, the garage today told me , service light no mot fail,, even no speedo ,,, engine managment light is fail

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hate modern vehicles,, should have got a Mk 1 Transit hahaha,,, can mend them with a hammer and pliers

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,398 Posts
Not what my mot garage told me today
Section 7.8
May also want to check the construction and use regulations 1986
Regulations 35 and 36 apply

If your MOt guy is willing to turn a blind eye, fair enough but if he believes what he said, he is simply wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Section 7.8
May also want to check the construction and use regulations 1986
Regulations 35 and 36 apply

If your MOt guy is willing to turn a blind eye, fair enough but if he believes what he said, he is simply wrong.
Well the first mot is due in five weeks so I'll find out if he was right or wrong then

·
8,593 Posts
If it were me now, I would be pulling every fuse, one at a time, from the internal fuse box and testing them for continuity with a multimeter, just to make sure every single one is working properly, also removing them and replacing them might clear any fault caused by a bit of gunk on the blades.

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it were me now, I would be pulling every fuse, one at a time, from the internal fuse box and testing them for continuity with a multimeter, just to make sure every single one is working properly, also removing them and replacing them might clear any fault caused by a bit of gunk on the blades.
I have ascertained that fuse 18 supplies the whole instrument pannel, ,95% of which is working,, inc rev count, fuel gauge, temp, all warning lights, indicator arrows etc etc,,, I recon its some kind of software gremlin, and someone with the right programme can sort it (only guessing) Probably caused by me ignoring the spanner light for awile as I had only 1900 mls on it... I didnt realise theres something aboard counting the time (2 years) as well as the miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Id like to take a peek behind the instrument pannel , see if theres a multipin plug I can wiggle,, but I aint got a clue how it comes out,,,,,I cant see a screw anywhere

1 - 20 of 35 Posts