Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thinking outside the box,,, about mounting a separate speedo ,, does anyone have knowledge of fitting something like a giant version of what they put on mountain bikes( magnetic sensor type) with a higher speed rating
Have you spoke to Renault yet re warrantee?
yes,,, they wont confirm that my warranty is still valid, they noted no service done at 2 years,,but they say they will consider when they identify a fault.... They booked it in dec 3rd,,, Thats earliest. Basicaly Im at there mercy..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,447 Posts
Thinking outside the box,,, about mounting a separate speedo
There are various versions of this sort of thing....basically plug it into your EOBD socket and can set whatever the engine gives outputs for.
Look about for what suits..... no idea how well they work .

yes,,, they wont confirm that my warranty is still valid, they noted no service done at 2 years,,but they say they will consider when they identify a fault....
Not nice.
I am thinking that Mk2 Scenics had a dashbaord issue due to poor electronics... Renault swapped FOC and then as cars got older, made a contribution.
Yours is sounding like an internal issue.....And that is not dependent on a service such as an engine failure could be.
Many vehicles to get clock/dashboard out require all the facia to come out.... may not be a good idea if it going into Renault.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There are various versions of this sort of thing....basically plug it into your EOBD socket and can set whatever the engine gives outputs for.

Not nice.
I am thinking that Mk2 Scenics had a dashbaord issue due to poor electronics... Renault swapped FOC and then as cars got older, made a contribution.
Yours is sounding like an internal issue.....And that is not dependent on a service such as an engine failure could be.
Many vehicles to get clock/dashboard out require all the facia to come out.... may not be a good idea if it going into Renault.
Ok, thanks for advice,,, guess I have to wait till they give me the good/bad news , then decide how to proceed..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Not nice.
That headup display looks like a solution to get an mot if all else fails,I shall order it... I hadnt seen them before,, great tip. thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
BTW,,,, I was surprised renault told me they would accept a service done by myself as long as I had receipts for genuine renault filters/oils..I am not a professional mechanic.. Wish I knew that before.

·
25,447 Posts
Let us know how it works pls.
It is a GPS version so may play sillies inside an MOT bay but apart from that, as far as I can see it complies with what the regulations require, there is nothing to say that the speedo has to be the one factory fitted, only that the vehicle has to have one and that it must be accurate to limits...most GPS based such as satnavs will be more accurate then factory fitted...which usually read 5-10% high.

We have had a few people from Northern Ireland who have bought cars from south of the border...then got stuffed cos the speedos in EU cars where Kilometres are used are not dual speed...so they cannot set to MPH as they want to in NI.
Also affects people crossing the border as suddenly they need to do maths to work out speed in the relevant units.
This sort of thing was suggested as a solution but not had any feedback on any of the beasts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Let us know how it works pls.
It is a GPS version so may play sillies inside an MOT bay but apart from that, as far as I can see it complies with what the regulations require, there is nothing to say that the speedo has to be the one factory fitted, only that the vehicle has to have one and that it must be accurate to limits...most GPS based such as satnavs will be more accurate then factory fitted...which usually read 5-10% high.

We have had a few people from Northern Ireland who have bought cars from south of the border...then got stuffed cos the speedos in EU cars where Kilometres are used are not dual speed...so they cannot set to MPH as they want to in NI.
Also affects people crossing the border as suddenly they need to do maths to work out speed in the relevant units.
This sort of thing was suggested as a solution but not had any feedback on any of the beasts.
Thereare vids on youtube of these,,, seem to work... just type in cheap gps speedo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi ,, I bought my 2017 brand new in 2018. Its done only 1900miles total! I converted it to a camper. I only use it for hols... No use for six months apart from letting engine run now and then to keep battery up. I just noticed that the menu screen is dead, buttons on wiper stalk do nowt. . The other dash warning lights come on with ignition as normal. The service spanner light is on, im about to change oil but of course need the menu screen to reset service light,, ,has anyone had this happen??????? Thanks.
4 year warranty at that age. get it booked to dealer to investigate.I have changed a couple of dash packs in my time.New ones are all programmed /configured online with Renault Clip and the mileage updates on the new one to same as the old one ie does'nt go back to zero. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
4 year warranty at that age. get it booked to dealer to investigate.I have changed a couple of dash packs in my time.New ones are all programmed /configured online with Renault Clip and the mileage updates on the new one to same as the old one ie does'nt go back to zero. Hope this helps.
Ye it is 4 yr warranty, but as I said I missed a service so may invalidate it.... When you say dash packs,,,,,, do you mean the whole dashboard needs replacement??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ye it is 4 yr warranty, but as I said I missed a service so may invalidate it.... When you say dash packs,,,,,, do you mean the whole dashboard needs replacement??
Servicing to me at work is more important for engine/gearbox/driveline issues.No what i call the dash pack is the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Servicing to me at work is more important for engine/gearbox/driveline issues.No what i call the dash pack is the instrument cluster.
So you have seen this same problem before? Any idea what causes it on such a little used vehicle???

·
25,447 Posts
So you have seen this same problem before? Any idea what causes it on such a little used vehicle???
On low mileage cause is most likely manufacturing fault or a faulty component.
Electronics tend to fail early or last for a long time.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts