Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My van had water come through the wiring loom into the fuse box on the left hand side of dash. It then wouldn't start, it gave me ignition lights no cigarette lighter or heater van.
After drying it out it started and was happy, however parked it up for the day and then 4 hours later it will not start again.
Now there is no power at all, no ignition lights no lights or anything. If I put my voltmeter on various 12v wired in the fuse area its reading 12v, this all happened when I disconnected the battery to charge it because it was a little low.

Your help is gratefully received as i cannot go to work until its fixed.
i was able the other day to put by diagnostic on it and it told me short circuit to ground on relay 2 using icarsoft
Thanks
Phil

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
If it's had water in the fusebox for long enough to cause a fault you'll definitely have to remove the fusebox and inspect for corrosion. There's little point in continuing until you've inspected it. You'll probably need a new fusbox unless you can clean it up and re-flow solder it, there will be all sorts of conductive verdigris shorting things out, Any connectors in the vicinity that may have had water in will be similarly affected, the wires will just rot and fall off.
Not what you want to hear - but personally if you want any sort of long term reliability I don't think you have much choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's had water in the fusebox for long enough to cause a fault you'll definitely have to remove the fusebox and inspect for corrosion. There's little point in continuing until you've inspected it. You'll probably need a new fusbox unless you can clean it up and re-flow solder it, there will be all sorts of conductive verdigris shorting things out, Any connectors in the vicinity that may have had water in will be similarly affected, the wires will just rot and fall off.
Not what you want to hear - but personally if you want any sort of long term reliability I don't think you have much choice.
Hi
Thats ok, its got to get running again so its needs to be sorted, would all the corrosion happen quickly as this only happened on Saturday?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Can you tell us what model/year and engine?
I can only go by your description. Reading it again the sequence of events isn't too clear.
I thought you meant it had been leaking over some time. Was the leak was only since Sat. or did you discover it on Saturday but it's been leaking for weeks?/months? Or re-reading it are you saying you took out the battery left it exposed and that's when water got in??
Then it started then it failed??

Corrosion takes weeks not a couple of days and if thoroughly dried out immediately (and I mean dried out not a bit damp) you would probably be ok (On electrics NOT on electronics, that's an entirely different matter if you get electronics wet, sometimes you can get away with it by long term by washing with distilled water and drying if it's not shorted anything and caused other damage)
Back to the no power issue, there are probably some high value fuses very near the battery, may not look like fuses, have you checked in that area? One may have blown or failed. bearing in mind that if you find a blown fuse it's important to check if it looks like it blew violently before replacing it (will be very melted inside) or whether it's just split/failed mechanically.
Post a photo of what was wet maybe someone will have an opinion, but one thing is for sure dry means bone dry, any residual water left in fusebox or connectors (especially multi pin connectors) and you're in for long term problems if not thoroughly dried out. I don't know what relay 2 refers to did it give you any more info? Ignition relay?
I would have thought it was quite difficult for water to get into a relay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Sorry I will try and explain in a simple way istead of rambling.
My van is a Renault Master 3 66 plate 120hp 2.3dci Reg HY66 WTC.
I have been using my van without faults until saturday when we were away, we had a tremendous rain storm for hours and on Sunday I came out to uses my van, put the key in the ignition, all lights came on but it would not start in tryin gto engage starter, all lights fine not dimming, the only thing that didn't work was the cigarette lighter and the fan.
After looking I found water dripping from the lower fuses in the fusebox to the left of the dash, I then dried it off and left a hairdryer at a distance for several hours. I then reattempted to start it and it did, I drove it around and all was working, parked it up and came back to it several hours later only for it not to start again, this time the caigarette lighter, fan and central locking not working and wont turn over.
I thought the battery was a little low on voltage so disconnected it and put some charge into it, several hours later I reconnected the battery and now I have no power to igintion or anything, but if you find some red wires ie, power supply under bonnet for jump starting it has 12 volts, some of the fuses on the 2 top rows also have voltage. I have checked all the unusual ones by the battery and they are all fine, I have also tried another battery
Electrical wiring Electronic device Font Machine Gas

Sorry to be long winded but this is how it has happened and where I am now

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update -
I have taken out the uch and it was full of water so I have it now sat in a bowl of rice

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have dried it out and put it back but it still is powered down, do I need to have the immobileser reset?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
Have dried it out and put it back but it still is powered down, do I need to have the immobileser reset?
Shouldn't but ????
What is the imobiliser light doing when you unlock and put key in?

When you say powered down, still the same as it was?
If so, still wet or the wet has damaged summat inside or it has taken an external fuse or????
Bit of the realms of guesswork I'm afraid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Currently I have nothing working, completely shut down albeit 12v supplies still active under bonnet, auto electrician coming out later, thinks it could be immobilser needs reprogramming

·
23,233 Posts
thinks it could be immobilser needs reprogramming
Talking through his backside......
Imobiliser system tells the vehicle that the key is the right one and enables starting, it doesn't shut down the power supply

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update, AE is coming back tomorrow with renault clip as he said his computer couldn't find my van

·
23,233 Posts
Clip should at least identify problem.
Once again, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update, no one will test or rebuild this model module, so I either have to get a 2nd hand one and clone it or new from Renault who have a waiting time of 2 weeks + and I have to get the van to them to program it.
I have been able to locate a used and am going to try this because I cannot get anyone to help me narrow it down any more than it already is.
Any more help is gratefully received

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I may be wrong here but I don't think the bcm can be responsible for the lack of power in the cig lighter and the fan - you need to trace those faults, (which might lead you to a different conclusion)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All the fuses were checked and he bypassed relays, he had the radio and cigarette light working whilst doing this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts