Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a 1.2 Clio x reg that hasnt been started for two years as the timing belt snapped and did not have the time to replace, anyway after replacing the timing belt it hasnt started I have checked everything i am getting a spark and it turns over. I had the injectors out today they were quite dirty so replaced them. Would the 2yr old petrol affect the car starting?
Many Thanks
Ben

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
To answer your question, yes.

Petrol does degrade over time, and loses some of the properties which allow it to combust.

I'm not saying it should be junked entirely, and once the engine is running (and the old fuel is diluted down with fresh petrol), it can still be burnt, but for the best starting performance after a long lay-off, use fresh.

Also, I'm presuming you have hand-cranked the engine a few times inbetween, and fresh oil & filter would be a good idea.

HTH

Paul

Reactions: Moley5555

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Not only does old petrol lose its ability to ignite it also gums up injectors and carbs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys other than this i dont know what the problem could be. Does anyone know how to drain the tank?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
How much fuel is in it?.If it's low then topping it up with fresh fuel would be the easier idea.If it's over half full then it will need to be drained,this can be a pain.You can disconnect the fuel line at the engine end and bridge the fuel pump relay to pump the fuel into containers,or you need to find someone with a hand pump that can access the tank via the filler neck (in some cases it's not possible to do this due to anti-syphon valves) or remove the tank unit and pump the fuel out from there (this has it's own risks though,the tanks are plastic and can deform making refitting the tank unit difficult/impossible).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much fuel is in it?.If it's low then topping it up with fresh fuel would be the easier idea.If it's over half full then it will need to be drained,this can be a pain.You can disconnect the fuel line at the engine end and bridge the fuel pump relay to pump the fuel into containers,or you need to find someone with a hand pump that can access the tank via the filler neck (in some cases it's not possible to do this due to anti-syphon valves) or remove the tank unit and pump the fuel out from there (this has it's own risks though,the tanks are plastic and can deform making refitting the tank unit difficult/impossible).
If i were to disconnect the fuel line at the engine end where should i do this at the Fuel rail/ injectors or at the connection when it comes into the engine compartment? And also with the fuel being two years old would you think the engine could burn it?
Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The fact that the fuel is 2 years old will definately not help matters,as stated above it starts to turn into creosote which not only effects the way it burns but also clogs up the injectors.

Disconnect the fuel line at the easiest accessible place,you'll need room around it to put a fuel can (or 2,or3:)).

I guess the immobiliser is switching off and you have fuel pressure to the injectors and also a pulsing feed to the injectors themselves?.Does it try and fire at all?.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it trys to start it turns the engine but does'nt sound like its firing when I originally disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail there was hardlyy any pressure and it only dripped out of the line.
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if this is connected but when i let the key come back from the position to start the car the orange light with the ocilloscope comes on for 5 secs then goes of here is the light. This is not a picture of my car it is for illistration purposes only.

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
If the car stood 2 years you r battery probably went flat, and if the battery was dead for a prolonged time the immobiliser may have forgotten its code (If it has an immobiliser)
Just something that came to mind....

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a 1.2 Clio x reg that hasnt been started for two years as the timing belt snapped and did not have the time to replace, anyway after replacing the timing belt it hasnt started I have checked everything i am getting a spark and it turns over. I had the injectors out today they were quite dirty so replaced them. Would the 2yr old petrol affect the car starting?
Many Thanks
Ben
When the original belt broke it's most likely valves where bent. I take it this apsect was checked and appropriate repairs carried out.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the car stood 2 years you r battery probably went flat, and if the battery was dead for a prolonged time the immobiliser may have forgotten its code (If it has an immobiliser)
Just something that came to mind....
Hi
The immobiliser light goes out when trying to start, i presume this mean it is fine?
Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the head has been refurbished it may also be that the valves are not sealing 100% yet, after grinding in valves it can take some cranking of the engine to start to properly bed in the valves and build up the compression before it fires, then will run a bit rubbish for the first few miles.
Ideally this shouldn't happen as the valves and seats should have been lapped in well enough to seal effectively from the off, however in this situation 2+2 doesn't always immediately make four...
Add low compression to stale fuel and you have a problem...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts