Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Megane is 3 years old this year and so far I’ve only covered 13,050 miles :eek:

I happened to be by Renault today & on the spur of the moment called in & made enquiries about the 3rd & last warranty service. :shocked:

Last years service cost approx £180 odd pounds, this year Renault want £260 odd pounds.

Obviously I enquired what they were plannlng on doing different to last year to warrant the additional costs, they tell me the plugs will require replacing, and the car needs to go on the computer to verify that after three years all is OK. :confused:

All though at this point I said FA, I thought gone are the days of changing plugs before 24,000 K and WTF would a car that hasn’t missed a beat from new require being put on the Renault computer to have no faults diagnosed.

What do you folks think?

Cheers hondo

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Might not just be a fault check, they maybe updating the software too. Lucky you covering that amount of miles in 3 years!!!! :p I would love to only do that many miles a year! let alone over 3 years!

Are spark plugs on of those 3 years or 36,000 miles which ever comes sooner things? there may be other things that they will do that come under 3 years or mileage thing :)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might not just be a fault check, they maybe updating the software too. Lucky you covering that amount of miles in 3 years!!!! :p I would love to only do that many miles a year! let alone over 3 years! :)
Thanks for the reply mowgli :)

:d Hey I promise it's easy, albeit somewhat costly. All you have to do is retire and follow this up by refusing to use the car unless the the outward journey is upwards of 10 miles, I'm afraid this means getting very much used to the oddities of public transport, although in fairness & within Region at least its something ATM for free. :)

From what I see the life of sparkies now is 36k miles, I don't know though if they do time expire.

:confused: Updating the software is a valid & good point, however I'd have thought that saying exactly that would be a far better way of selling the idea
rather than to just say
the car needs to go on the computer to verify that after three years all is OK
They must already know what version of software is currently on the motor & what version they're up to now.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I'm afraid this means getting very much used to the oddities of public transport,
For me, its the oddities on public transport that deters me...:d

What you might also be experiencing is the effect of the drop in new car sales - dealerships are now more reliant on the after sales side of the business to provide sufficient cashflow & profit margin to keep their business afloat, as the sales side will probably have suffered? (How many '11-plate cars have you seen?)...

At least there is no excuse for the car failing an mot after they have serviced it, and any applicable items will still be covered by the warranty.

Paul

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The last time I was on a bus, it felt like I was sitting on stage on the Jeremy Kyle show - I was just waiting for the DNA and Lie Detector results....:d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been back to Renault again today, I saw a different guy, and got a different price too. :rolleyes:

Apparently my Renault dealer to compete with Fred in a shed offers 3 different levels of service

A basis oil + oil filter change Inc of clip plus 12 months of very basic AA cover = £139

Or

An Expert + service a didn't get the chance to write down what was on offer here but inc of 12 AA as above the price was £199

Or alternatively you can have, wait for it.....

An Extra Expert Service which is the same as an Expert + but also includes Plugs. Fuel filter. & Air filter.

Theair filter isn't changed on any of the above options other than Extra Expert Service & the pollen filter isn't changed in any of the above options.

After talking with service, I made my way to the parts Dept to to price up the missing items thinking of going for the basic option then adding the rest DIY

Plugs £32.88 for four these I quote "Require changing @ 36k miles" strike that off me list. :)

Fuel filter remember from the above Fuel filter after looking through the computer parts list, the guy informed me I could strike that off the list too. Me, ":confused: Why?"

Response "There isn't one, the only fuel filter there is on a Megane is in the fuel tank & that would cost mega bucks to change. The pollen filter which isn't changed in any option costs £22.50.

& they have the nerve to talk about Fred in a shed!!!!

I think its time for a chat with RCS especially after looking at my Renault service history at no time as the air filter been changed during the two other prior services :(

Just thinking if you stopped with him during his labour Fred in a shed could well be the better option of the two.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
My Megane is 3 years old this year and so far I’ve only covered 13,050 miles :eek:

I happened to be by Renault today & on the spur of the moment called in & made enquiries about the 3rd & last warranty service. :shocked:

Last years service cost approx £180 odd pounds, this year Renault want £260 odd pounds.

Obviously I enquired what they were plannlng on doing different to last year to warrant the additional costs, they tell me the plugs will require replacing, and the car needs to go on the computer to verify that after three years all is OK. :confused:

All though at this point I said FA, I thought gone are the days of changing plugs before 24,000 K and WTF would a car that hasn’t missed a beat from new require being put on the Renault computer to have no faults diagnosed.

What do you folks think?

Cheers hondo
I'm in the same boat as you with this, although I can trump the mileage. My wifes Mazda 5 is coming up for 3 years old and has just clocked up 8500 miles.
Warrranty is ending and 1st MOT due.

No way is it going back to a Mazda dealers with the price they charge for labour, and with the mileage it's done it hasn't even reached the 12500 miles for its first service.

To avoid any potential warranty problems it's already had a 12500 (year 1) and 25000 mile (year 2) service at a Mazda main dealer and now they've phoned me up telling me its due it's 37500, with all the mileage related items they want to check and change.

Took it during the week to a local independant who I've known and used for 20 years. He gave it the once over, declared it to be in perfect health, changed the oil and filter, Mot'd it, £45 for his time, plus parts and MOT.

I'll be taking it back there from now on, knowing that he'll look at the mileage and previous work done and only do what's necessary in future, saving me ££ss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts