Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

(Clio Mk3 1.2L 16v 2008 - 125000miles)

I'm currently in the troubleshooting process of finding the route cause to a pretty nasty engine rattle/vibration that occurs at almost exactly 3300 RPM. I first noticed it when driving on motorways and needed to overtake in 5th and pushing 70+ a bit. I can't remember when the noise started, but I've already figured out it's not a gearbox issue as I can make the noise occur when in 1st, 2nd, 3rd... and even in neutral. As you can imagine, having a pretty nasty vibration loud engine noise exactly when you need to overtake isn't the best.

The engine oil has been changed about 5000 miles ago, and I literally just changed the transmission oil too (the old stuff that came out was pretty clear as well, so the condition of the gearbox seems pretty good. Both made the car run a lot smoother, but the noise is still there.

My understanding of engines and trouble shooting is pretty poor, but from the noise it sounds like somethings resonating which made me think of the engine mounts? I don't believe they've been changed in the time the cars been running, and figuring out if the condition of mine are alright has been quite tough.

The only other potential solutions I found were these: mk3 Clio engine mount? | Independent Renault Forums - But this guys issue ended up not even being the mounts... or the engine.
and Strange rattling noise while accelerating (3k - 5k rpm) | Clio197.net / Clio200.net / Clio200T.net - But my version of the rattle stops almost straight after 3500rpm - never goes beyond 4.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Tread

As you can see in these pics of the upper mount, there's a fair amount of space between the rubber and the wall of the mount, could the engine be shaking in-between the two mount walls?
Again, finding new pictures of these mounts in a profile view is quite tough so anyone's help on this would be appreciated!

The other mounts (lower left and rear arm that mounts to the transmission both look fairly good too)

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tread

So in summary, I'm hoping that top mount is the worst thing some of you have ever seen and is definitely the cause of the rattle.... and if not, any help where to look next for the issue would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
If it's happening at a steady revs in neutral it's not likely to be the mounts. Have you looked for a loose heat shield or a problem with the exhaust?
Can you get someone to rev it while you listen?
Fingers and any other dangly bits out and in neutral with handbrake on firmly.
If you think it's coming from the water pump/cambelt area get it into a garage asap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wozz,

I've not thought to have a look at any shields, or the exhaust yet. It 'feels' like it's coming from the engine bay when it does happen - which is why my thought was engine originally. Will take a look next time I'm under. Will also try to find someone else too (harder than you'd think with work and where I'm based currently).

I'm just thinking now that there's a higher chance it's not something vital to the engine working properly, as I've driven at least 15,000 miles or so (yeah, not the best I know, but I've been keeping everything else about the car in good condition) in the past couple months with this ongoing and it's been more than fine, other than the noise - will take it to a garage if it is cambelt-y though.

There's nothing that anyone knows of that is particularly bad for rusting+breaking in the exhaust/heatshield mounting department?
Cheers!

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,804 Posts
I will ask you a question that you don't have to answer here if you don't want to, but you can answer it to yourself none the less..
How is your driving style? any hard acceleration, pulling away fast from standing still ? spinning your wheels?
What you are describing sounds to me like a broken spring on the clutch plate, same grrrrrrrr type vibration at the same rpm in each gear, and stops when you go over that rpm's, but still have a look at the heatshields and exhaust too
The 1.2 has a clutch only about the size of a saucer and it doesn't like punishment so you don't even really have to do any of the above, mileage alone can probably kill it too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Prickley,

I think in the interest of making sure the thread has all the info, I don't think I fit in the gently-gently driving category. I never go unnecessarily fast, and I do my best to keep gear changes smooth, but there's definitely a few hard accelerations from standstill at a roundabout or similar (nearly once a day if the traffic is bad).

While I don't want it to be, something clutch related feels like it would have the same 'power' to the noise I'm hearing.

I'm definitely okay having a look if I can (any potential issues are better than the none I started with) - But would it still be a clutch thing even if I can make the noise in neutral?

The mileage thing worries me a bit too, I'd like to keep the Clio going as long as possible, but a quick look on auto trader/eBay makes my 125k in the region of when people start selling broken cars 😅

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,804 Posts
Thanks Prickley,

I'm definitely okay having a look if I can (any potential issues are better than the none I started with) - But would it still be a clutch thing even if I can make the noise in neutral?
Absolutely, as it affects the balance of the clutch plate, and the clutch is connected to the engine so it basically disturbs the engine balance.
What you can try is this: put the car in gear, push the clutch in and then see if you get the vibration as the clutch plate it self should then be disconnected from the engine, just remember to select neutral again before letting go of the clutch pedal:p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip - (made sure to go back to netural afterwards) but I just tried this on the way to the shops today. Car was in gear (1st) dipped the clutch pedal then revved up through 3-4000 and the noise still appears at 3400ish.

Helpful I suppose as this means not clutch related? (Keeping my fingers crossed for my wallets sake lol) - I've not had a chance to get under it since all the help with heatshields and exhausts so will aim to look at that next. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts