Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with this please. On two occasions now whilst in low revs and travelling slowly, my computer voice has announced that I have a fuel injection problem and a fault with my ESP. The car goes into 'crawl mode', won't rev and tells me to contact my Renault Dealer asap. This scared the pants off me and so I switched off the engine. When I restarted everything was back to normal.

I also have a problem with a ropey tickover, but the car runs great apart from that.

Any help would be gratefully received

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

Your problem could be caused by a number of things,but I think the best place to start would be having the ECU fault codes read at a good independant garage.This will give you a few clues as to where the problem is coming from.

The IDE is a little bit tempramental at times,especially if you use non genuine spark plugs.......have you had yours changed recently?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Diesels too...

Hi everyone
Sorry to say that it's not just petrol engines that give this problem - my 2.2dci is currently in with my local garage with an intermittent ESP and injection fault. Worringly, you can drive along at practically any speed and it will kangeroo, the start icon will appear on the dash and the car "restarts" itself. Quite scary when you hit a bend-no power assisted brakes or steering for a few seconds.
I hope it has noting to do with the liberal coating of oil spewed out of the dipstick pipe of the engine bay when the dipstick blew out last week... All this 2.5K after the last service!
The woes of being a Renault driver... too many to mention here!
Paul

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Hi everyone
Sorry to say that it's not just petrol engines that give this problem - my 2.2dci is currently in with my local garage with an intermittent ESP and injection fault. Worringly, you can drive along at practically any speed and it will kangeroo, the start icon will appear on the dash and the car "restarts" itself. Quite scary when you hit a bend-no power assisted brakes or steering for a few seconds.
I hope it has noting to do with the liberal coating of oil spewed out of the dipstick pipe of the engine bay when the dipstick blew out last week... All this 2.5K after the last service!
The woes of being a Renault driver... too many to mention here!
Paul
welcome to the forums, let us know the outcome

·
Registered
20 Posts
welcome to the forums, let us know the outcome
Sorry for the delay, but the saga has only just been resolved (until my next glitch!). They took 4 days to look and gave it back without really solving the problem. Two journeys (and 30 minutes!) of returning from the garage, same sort of problems occured. Anyway, we were away for 10 days around Easter, had to take our smaller car as we couldn't trust the Laguna. After a second 5 day spell at the garage, they diagnosed and fixed the intercooler (blowing through a hole) and replaced the glowplugs and the Top Dead Centre sensor -now £729 out of pocket for that lot! And to add insult to injury they scratched my newly resprayed bumper whilst "curtesy" washing the car and left a nice oil stain on my drivers car mat... They have offered to rectify this, more later...
And the black smoke / LHM / fuel injection fault came back on day 2, but has since disappeared. For now.

Paul

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
throttle Body

Hi all .

This problem is usually nearly always caused by a faulty throttle body of fuel pressure sensor .
Basically the ecu can't cope with the error so it gets confused and throws up the esp fault and ignition fault .
Throttle body can be only fitted by Renault as it is electronic program by renault only unless things have changed .
Fuel sensor or flow switch cost about £200 fitted at an independent garage .

Thanks ide man

·
Registered
32 Posts
So can the fuel pressure sensor be changed at home by yourself ? I've cleaned up the throttle body on my VW after it started to run a lumpy and erratic idle. I've no issues with the idle on the laguna (2.0 ide petrol engine) and it returns a healthy 30-31 mpg , so my suspicion is its the fuel pressure sensor. Can anyone explain where the fuel pressure sensor is located and what's involved in its replacement please. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok , here is an update for anyone with a Laguna II IDE (2.0 petrol) that gets the fuel injection fault when in slow moving traffic. I've had this problem on and off for a few months and recently its got a lot worse , so I've just bought a replacement fuel pressure sensor/ regulator unit. For my 2002 car the part no is 7700113483 and cost me 170 with the VAT. Its a simple job to fit taking about 20 mins tops. I've run the car at idle for over an hour with no reoccurence of the fault (before the fault would occur after about 20 mins). Interestingly the new unit has the port in a slightly different position to the removed unit. A set of torx allen keys and a small flat screwdriver to remove the electrical plug and you are in business. There is also very little fuel loss , paper towel stuffed around the sensor is enough to take up the loss. One word of advice ..leave the car to be completely cold before doing the job.. ie overnight. Hopefully this cures the problem. Pic attached of unit (normally hidden under engine cover just behind oil filler)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
@mushroom, you help me a lot.
i have the same problem, checked on renault clip diagnosis, and see fuel pressure regulator red marked.

they wanna charge me about 400 euros....

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Mushroom.

I have Laguna 2.0IDE 2002 and it has the same fuel injection error, as you described. Did you change fuel pressure regulator or sensor? Did it help to solve the problem?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I changed the fuel pressure/regulator , the device does both jobs. If you remove the engine cover you can see it sits on the end of the fuel injection rail next to the oil filler cap. It has 2 very small allen cap head screws to secure it. The sensor next to it is the pressure sensor (yes there are 2). To check if its this sensor , have the car sitting in the driveway with the bonnet closed but the engine cover removed. Wait for the "fuel injection fault " message and then try to rev the engine, you will probably then get the ESP fault followed by a red fuel injection fault and the car will automatically stop. Restart the car and again within a few minutes you should get the same sequence of events. This time after the car has stopped , or you have stopped it, try wrapping a damp cloth around the sensor for a about 30-45 seconds , then remove the cloth and restart the engine ,the sensor body should now feel cooler to touch. If you do not get the fuel injection fault straight away then its this sensor you need to replace. They cost about 160 pounds but you can fit them yourself. Unfortunately I think these devices are just badly located and so they overheat and play up. Since fitting the new sensor no re occurence of the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ide lights on dash lack power

hi can any one help,51,000m laguna ide 2.0 .esp +service +injection+[ what look like glow plug light ? ] all light up with mass lack power when at idle in slow move traffic .can cure fault by turn off eng & start up ,had car at indy renault dealer they suspect fuel press sensor or regulator or both ?told me to take to renault dealer for diagnosis .& bring back to have parts fitted .as last hope tanked it / add injector cleaner ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys. Got the same fault as described for the first time last night (i.e. injector and esp fault, won't rev etc.) Hope it was a one off glitch but if not does anyone know if the fuel pressure sensor / regulator is unique to the ide or will one from another 2.0 or 1.8 fit? Don't want to pay renault prices so scrapyard job me thinks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
lucky pedro have been told 2.0ide engine is more common in the megan.my car is doing 28 -34 mpg & has been running ok over last 2days i used red x in tank to clean injectors / lines ,do not want to use renault too pricey £100 per hr.so see how it go,s

·
Registered
7 Posts
problems fuel injection

Laguna II X74 2.0 ide and i am at wits end.Connected to computer showed cam shaft position sensor faulty; anti pollution faulty; misfire on 1st and 2nd cylinder; and last and foremost fuel injection faulty.I have fitted new cam shaft sensor.Still no change on performance, still misfire but connected to computer again and shows misfire on 1st and 3rd cylinder now but no other faults.Made some enquires and told to change fuel pressure sensor or something like that which is located at the end of fuel rail ... .I strongly hope that will solve endless problems i am having.Any advice please don't hesitate.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Hey guys. Got the same fault as described for the first time last night (i.e. injector and esp fault, won't rev etc.) Hope it was a one off glitch but if not does anyone know if the fuel pressure sensor / regulator is unique to the ide or will one from another 2.0 or 1.8 fit? Don't want to pay renault prices so scrapyard job me thinks....
Unfortunately the IDE engine is a bit special in that it uses high pressure fuel directly injected into the cylinders at peak compression. Normal petrol engine components won't be suitable.

Ian

·
Registered
7 Posts
still checking

yo. got my 2.0 ide checked again and found that one of my injectors leaking fuel through side on 1st cylinder.now this is dillema to me coz been told b4 to change fuel pressure sensor and regulator.could be all mentioned above or just one of those so let u know later.x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Laguna IDE 2.0 injector fault

Hello Mushroom,

Could you please share which were your exact error codes
to identify if my injecton fault has the same source ? I did not
see this message since I used the STP injector cleaner with
double density as adviced by the instructions but I feel it will
come back, mostly because the idle is not that smooth as before
and I think it can be related.Thank You.

regards,gabor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have the Laguna Sport Tourer 2.0 16v Tiptronic petrol and I too have the same problem, my car doesn't idle properly and then struggles to accelerate.
The fault codes kick in reading; esp fault / fuel injection fault / gearbox fault all at the same time and the car goes into limp mode (worryingly if on a roundabout or at traffic lights when losing power as has happened).
I have the car booked to Renault for the 9th November to diagnose the problem.
At first I thought it was the new towbar electrics that were fitted because the faults first showed after this when towing a trailer (towbar not fitted by Renault) but now I'm not convinced the 2 are related!
Any advice would be welcome and an approx idea of cost to rectify the problem if done by Renault, who are so expensive!!
Thanks, Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts