Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.9 dci scenic (52) which has a real problem starting.
The engine turns over but will not fire, eventually will go but normaly need to put jump leads on as by the time you keep cranking the battery is flat. It dosent matter if the car is cold or warm. after started runs fine, and if you re-start not normally a problem until it has been sitting for a few hours then problem returns. I have replaced the following and there has been no change.
Crankshaft sensor, glow plugs and the glow control relay.
Now lost on where to look next - any ideas? Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure had the car since october, checked the voltage and charge being returned. seemed ok. Did notice that it was only 420amps stated on the battery and there are replacements available with upto 750amps for increased cranking power , would this make much difference.
It has only recently been a problem. Went through that really
cold november ok?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Has the fuel system got a rubber primer bulb? If not then the car will have a primary low-pressure fuel pump. If it is faulty the engine will have great difficulty starting. This pump only comes into operation either during starting or times if high demand. It is usually located close to the front right wheel arch area.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one has a pump. It can be heard when you turn the ignition on and stays on for a while. Pretty sure it is ok, u can feel pressure in the pipes leading to the main pump when it is primeing.
Havent yet checked the filter - but like i said when started it runs smooth?

any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same vehicle and same problem. Two years ago replaced the glow plug relay which seemed to sort but problem returned this year in cold weather. Changed the battery for one with the increased 'crankage' and its been good as gold since. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts