Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
55 Megane wont start off button but bumps easily

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me some help with my starter issue. The ignition lights up as normal when the button is pressed but when pressed again to start it does nothing.

Had a recovery man out and he tried the obvious and put jump leads on it but that did nothing, but even the slightest of bump starts gets it going every time. Drove it to a local garage where they tried to change the starter motor which they thought it may be but it wasn’t so they said I’ll have to now take it to Renault. In my personal experience unless you cant change your own oil for some reason ( and I cant even trust them to do that properly) or brake pads/routine maintenance etc yourself the local garages I have come across are not much use other than MOT’s. I know they are about but it is rare to find a good fault finding mechanic. I even phoned the local auto electrical place and told them the problem and they said ooh youll probably have to take it to Renault for that. I am always looking to support local businesses first but some of these people are not interested unless they know exactly what it is or unless its easy for them.

Anyway it all seems as normal apart from the final ignition turn over were there is nothing, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don’t think it’s the switches on the pedals either as ive tried each one individually and they are both the same, Ive also tried the spare key card and thats the same. Even though I have already put a diagnostics on it and its coming up with no error codes, Renault garage say they are going to charge me £50 to put it in the dignositcs again before they start. As if I haven’t got enough of a problem without being ripped off aswell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, check the fuse box by the battery as there is a fuse for the starter in there.

matink you was right on it. I found the hidden treasure chest of a fuse box in the engine bay. And it has got to be the most awkward to get at fuses i have ever seen even when you open it. Anyway there is a 25amp start/stop fuse in there and it had blown.

This car has had a AA man look at it (a contracted local recovery firm I never got the actual AA) and then I took it to a local garage who had no idea what it could be, then I phoned a auto electrician who said I better take it to Renault, all this hassle for a 20 pence fuse. Renault was the next stop and a charge of £50 just to look at it so they said.

Im just glad it fixed, thanks everyone who has given me some advice, and martink dont forget helping someone out like that does come back to you eventually in some way.

Thanks everyone. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke to soon

Thought I had it sorted, my wife was running round in it fine then she when to pick the kids up from school and got in it trying to start and everything went totaly dead on a start up, this time the main fuse blew on the battery terminal. Havent had a chance to get hold of another one to see if it will go again but im sure it probably will in time. Any ideas ?

:(

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Re: Spoke to soon

Thought I had it sorted, my wife was running round in it fine then she when to pick the kids up from school and got in it trying to start and everything went totaly dead on a start up, this time the main fuse blew on the battery terminal. Havent had a chance to get hold of another one to see if it will go again but im sure it probably will in time. Any ideas ?

:(
Need to check the physical wiring.
These fuses are enormous, and don't go normally.
Check that nothing is earthing the wires downstream of the fuse, and that the harness is OK going through bulkheads.
Or do you already know the solution, these months later?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes it was a wiring loom that had melted to the exhaust and was earthing out. New wiring loom fitted and put back to were they should have been and it is good now. I think the garage who had a looked at it before renault actualy made it worse as they didnt know what they were doing. they said it was the starter motor but gave it back to me and gave up but then the problem got worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem arrgghhh so annoying, im going to get the fella to check this fuse he said hes checked them already, when you bump start car can you turn car off with the stop button i can, everythink works accept dash bored the lot just wont start im going to blow the thing up its driving us insane lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.