Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
21,718 Posts
Your OK though eh Otto :p

But jeez, living on £10,000 for a household is just crazy....... I dont know how they do it - not in these times of higher bills etc !

:crazy:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your OK though eh Otto :p

But jeez, living on £10,000 for a household is just crazy....... I dont know how they do it - not in these times of higher bills etc !

:crazy:
Yep I'm one of those 5th Dave :(

That is their net income dave, not taking into account Council tax rebates, rent rebates if any etc.

But still a very low figure in todays spiralling cost's

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I very much doubt that otto ! :rolleyes: :d
I'm careful with money Dave have being for many many years, I have no debt and do not live a wild lifestyle in today's meaning of lifestyle.

I have worked very very hard over the years and at one time made many sacrifices to ensure my family were taken care off.

I took a gamble a number of years ago which in the long term proved to be very good investments ( More by luck than shrewed thinking ) .

People talk about being hard up and skint yet they smoke and drink most evenings always having Chinese/Indians carry outs etc, Holidays every year.

For a number of years we had no real holidays, I was paying 2 mortgages, double poll tax and regularly working 16 - 18 hour days 7 days a week away from my family for months on end at times.

Always lots of love and caring sharing in abundance within my family tho we were and still are a very close family even tho we all live some distance apart.

We always tried to do things as a family for the family not all in their different rooms not communicating or sharing with each other.

Each and everyone in my family knows the value of money Dave.

Given the choice of a close knit sharing caring family or money I know which one I would pick each and every time with out any hesitation. Give ya a clue it's not money:)

Money is easy to get Dave it's holding onto it's the hard part .

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Thats about 4k more than this household

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats about 4k more than this household
:eek:

People who have retired are getting hit very very hard in this so called credit crunch, The cost of fuel, heating, food has devlued their pensions quite considerably considering they have already done their bit for the country as a taxpayer .

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
or like in our position, fixed income as I am a carer to my mrs, income suppport sorted, rent and council tax allowance etc, but until Mrs tiggz has a diagnosis, Fixed income, Rising costs of living......

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
or like in our position, fixed income as I am a carer to my mrs, income suppport sorted, rent and council tax allowance etc, but until Mrs tiggz has a diagnosis, Fixed income, Rising costs of living......
Yes it's tough for anyone on a low fixed income without any chance of a sudden increase to their finances in the near or distant future Tig's.

I certainly know times can be very hard with a young family to raise when money is tight.

It's up to each individual how and what they spend their income on at whatever level of resources and it's not for me to say how they should dispose of their finances, I have had some very very hard times in the past, being skint is not a new phenomenon in today's " credit crunch " different priorities today than when I had to raise a family and people should expect more from life than what others had in the past .

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
:iagree: Since meeting my GF I am practically debt free. She has got a good money head on her and it has rubbed off on me now and I am in a good position.

Obviously I'm not on a very low wage which does help but my plan is to secure as much as I can by the time I leave so I haven't got much of a mortgage to pay off when I do in a few years. That way I can take a wage drop depending on what job I do and not worry too much about it.

I feel for those who get hit hard. It can't be good. My mum and step dad are in the same situation. They really struggle and I help them out where I can.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thing is to live within your means.

No spanish holidays and nearly new BMW's for me!

Yep live within your means Tig's which I have done my entire adult life, My priorities have changed now different things to spend my very hard earned on

Yes financially I am fairly secure and have no debts but I am self supporting and cannot ever see myself retiring, cant see how I will ever afford not to earn.

:iagree: Since meeting my GF I am practically debt free. She has got a good money head on her and it has rubbed off on me now and I am in a good position.

Obviously I'm not on a very low wage which does help but my plan is to secure as much as I can by the time I leave so I haven't got much of a mortgage to pay off when I do in a few years. That way I can take a wage drop depending on what job I do and not worry too much about it.

I feel for those who get hit hard. It can't be good. My mum and step dad are in the same situation. They really struggle and I help them out where I can.

Good stuff Mike it's not a one way thing kids being always helped out by parents.:)

Some elderly people who are maybe property rich but cash poor rely on family to help them out

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
:iagree: Otto. Your parents bring you up and pay for you for about at least 16 years of your life, if not more. The least I can do is help them out when thye need it.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh we all whinge from time to time regarding our finances but in all honesty we now live in a country where its very rare if not impossible to starve to death. From my experience of life money is pretty far down my list of priorities - first comes health, family, friends, etc.:)
On definite thing I have learned is that whinging never made anyone rich:rofl:

·
I'm a drummer, I hit things!
732 Posts
From my perspective, it's only when you have a moment in your life that makes you re-assess what you do and how you live that then makes you change your perspective.

My wife and I are professional foster carers and for 7 1/2 years we cared for a very disabled boy, who became part of the family. He died very suddenly last November. In an hour our lives were turned upside down and we lost half of our total income instantly.

What we have learned about how we lived is that it was incredibly wasteful. We have managed to do the majority of the things we did before , but on half of the money. I also learned that I would give up anything material to continue to have the people I love around me.

Money is important, but it needs to be put in context.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts