Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi peeps,

The other day I noticed that diesel was leaking from the top of my stop solenoid on my lucas injection pump. Whilst looking at this I broke the wire to the connection on it.

I replaced the connector and removed the soleniod to inspect and re-fitted it.

After doing so the car would no longer start, I have tried severl times and used a full battery cranking it over but still no use. Suspecting either me damaging the solenoid or a fault occuring I read that a bypass of the solenoid can be achieved by taking the plunger&spring out of the solenoid and fitting it back to the car minus the connection. I have tried with the soleniod complete and also without the internal plunger but still the clio will not start.

Fearing that the system needs to be bled I have checked the hand prime pump above the pre-heat control unit on top of the fuel filter but no fuel seems to come out?

I also slackened one of the injector unions and cranked the engine over with no diesel coming out whatsoever or none noticably spraying out anyway! Fuel does seem to be in the pipe and sat on the top of the connection of the injector when I removed the nut but still nothing!

Im really running out of ideas now and im desperate to get it sorted as I cant get to work and am losing my wage!

Its worth noting that I have checked all fuses, checked fuel in tank etc..!

The glow plug light comes on as normal and the goes out after 6 seconds or so but the engine just cranks over without a splutter. I have recently had new glow plugs fitted about 2000 miles ago with no problem and the car last ran before I removed the stop soleniod.

I dont understand how I can bleed the system if no fuel seems to be getting through? Surely the fuel first enters the filter (and priming pump) before going to the injection pump so I cannot figure out why there is none spilling out when I hand pump it!

regards
A very desperate Matt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well today I have spent hours and numerous batteries trying to get the damn thing going.

I have since spent £80 on a new solenoid and fitted that with still no effect.

I also noticed that there are two bleed type valves on the filter, one on the bottom and one at the top, the one at the top seems to only puff air out, but the one at the bottom coughs fuel out when i press the button on the top so maybe a result there.

Also when slackening the unions on the injectors and cranking it over (to rid the pipe of air) fuel does seem to be spilling out, but not at pressure or so it seems, im unsure if this is normal or not however.

When I tried to crank it over it just spins and does nothing, when i bypassed the solenois as mentiond in this thread earlier, it tried to cough and splutter but would not run so I feel that mybe now I might be getting somewhere.

I have also bought a multimeter and tested all electrical connections and this indicates that the pre-heating relay/system is working, as the current only flows to the glow plugs etc when the ignition is just swithed on, it then disconnects after a few seconds or so and I can hear the relay click to verify this action.

So the rabbit hole deepens but im still no closer to getting the damn thing started!

Renault dont offer any help, my local dealership asked me to drive the car in!!!! This was annoying after I had told them several times that it WOULDNT START! So conclusion of this is stay away from dealerships who dont know their ar$e from there elbow!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Diesel Clio Fuel problem

HI Racingdrivermatt - I have a 1994 Clio diesel and had similar probs. My advice would be to check the fuel filter as it is known they can fail with age, etc. If it has a primer pump (the big black knob on top) - open the bleeder on the filter and press the button formly 8-10 times and see if fuel comes out - it should squirt at a fairly high pressure. Also open the drain plug on the bottom and see if it runs clean. Try and catch it in a container as it may contain water or dirt. If the prime nob fails to pump you will probably need to replace the filter head because if it is faulty it will constantly introduce air into the system and no amount of bleeding or cranking will help. One other possibility is the filter could be blocked - when was the filter last changed - its worth a try. Failing this you may have to replace the filter head. The Renault original is very expensive but most good motor factors should be able to help or hit the nearest car dismantlers. Good luck - Diesle Clio are a great wee car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I think i've located the issue, seeing as the car does try to splutter when starting suggests a fuel supply issue, so again i checked the priming pump, no amount of pressing the button seems to produce any fuel from the bleed nipple.

Considering that the car last ran and has loads of fuel in the tank leads me to reasonably eliminate a blocked fuel line etc. My presumption is that the filter head has a perished diaphragm hence not pumping thus not allowing me to prime the system to allow it to pressurise!

Got one on order as we type so I'll keep the thread posted once i've fitted it tomorrow.

Cheers
Matt

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Clio Diesel Filter Head

Sorry but another prob I came across was dirt in the filter inlet valve. If you can get the filter off the car and remove the inlet and outlet pipes you will find another piece which screws out each of these are one way valves. If even the smallest bit of dirt gets trapped behind them you will not be able to prime using the big black button. If either of these are dirty each time you press the primer button the fuel will only move momentarly from the filter to the tank and then back again - its worth a try and costs nothing but your time. Dirt behind the valve will have the same symptoms as a failed diaphram. A local Renault garage I know replaces these filter heads on a regular basis and the mechanics clean out the old ones and if it works then use them on another job. The best way to flush them out with diesel or something similar using an oil can or old spray can - in the past i've used a blast from rust relaisng agent or compressed air if available.
Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts