Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the battery warning light came on and shortly later the inevitable happened, never good with an auto.
I charged the battery overnight and refitted it this morning, drove home but the battery light came on again within a few miles. I borrowed a multi meter and checked the battery and alternator output and all seem fine but battery was still running down and light still on. (it goes off when revs over 4000rpm). I have the battery on charge again tonight.
Do heavy duty batteries take longer to charge as the haynes suggest?

Any ideas on the cause of the problem I've done the usual checked the earth, the terminals on the alternator and I am puzzled at the minute.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi chriss:) if you checked the output from the altanator itself and then the batt under full load and all was ok, its sounds as though an earth strap has maybe a break in it m8, this would explain why its ok over 4000rpm as its brigeing the gap, ive had this before on a 206,
also make sure the small postive on the back of the alltanator has a constant 12v feed and a good connection(youl no this anway lol:eek: )

just a few sugestions for you m8 any how and good luck chriss:) alex

·
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quick update, charged battery for about 18 hours, checked with meter looks to be full charge. Put in car start no problem no, battery light on at ignition and went off when running, all good so far.
About 2 miles down road light back on, came home put meter on alternator looks to be giving proper charge, light starts to go out if revved to 4000rpm. Any ideas guys, I'm going to look at the earth from the battery but cant see any others.

·
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called a few auto factors to find that no one can get hold of them but they had a recon unit for £119. So I stripped the alternator out of its case and cleaned it up esp. the rings. Then I cleaned the brushes and managed to get them out a bit further. Put the alternator together, refitted it and so far so good. Had a few small journeys with all the electrics running and no fault light yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an issue with the alternator light coming on on my 2003 clio 172.
I disconnected the battery and undone the battery connector from the alternator.
I then cleaned the connector (from the batter to the alternator) on the alternator side as this was rusty.
Popped some Vaseline on and tightened up, this has stopped the light appearing for over a year now.
Renault wanted to change for a new alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts