Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the battery warning light come on this evening. Checked the Alternator belt (in the dark) and it seemed tight. Had a poke around at the wires from the alternator, all seemed ok, however one of the wires to the starter felt loose. I put the battery on charge but have to nip out to pick daughter up so I will see what the score is then. Just to add to the fun as it run the battery down the "auto" warning light came on and I had to limp home.

Any ideas ? Anything I have missed ? Dont have meter so cant check output!

I'm just going out, I may be some time...

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sounds like a dead alternator unfortunately Chris.....:(

You need to have the charge rate checked really,to confirm this.

Is the alternator hidden down the back of the engine?.If so,they are good fun to change.There isn't enough room to get the alternator out underneath unless you move the driveshaft to one side..........

Sorry.....:eek:

·
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a dead alternator unfortunately Chris.....:(

You need to have the charge rate checked really,to confirm this.

Is the alternator hidden down the back of the engine?.If so,they are good fun to change.There isn't enough room to get the alternator out underneath unless you move the driveshaft to one side..........

Sorry.....:eek:
Is down the back, conked out again and had to get a friend to jump start me. Maybe a dodgy connection somewhere with luck.

If you don`t know anybody with meter I`d give the AA/RAC a ring.
Not in the AA/RAC.

·
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update. I charged the battery overnight and refitted this morning. Turned ignition on and all usual lights lit up, car started fine and on the run to school felt very good, probably the best in a while. Ran rear screen, headlights, fan on full and radio as well as electric windows up and down, no warning light no discernable dip in revs when stationary.
Before fitting the battery in I did wiggle, poke and generally prod anything I could also checked the belt was tight. It did not feel like I moved the alternator at all but it may have shifted a fraction and tightened the belt just a little. I will keep an eye on it and post back later, but fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts